Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - November 2019 (KB890830) Updates Repeditively

Reaction score
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - November 2019 (KB890830) keeps updating over and over and over, etc. etc. etc.
So far, when I ask for updates, this one has downloaded and installed 7 times just today. I go nuts over security things that don't work properly.
BQS

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Many reports on the Feedback Hub already, so I imagine they will address this sooner or later.

Regedit32

Reaction score
If its bothering you, you could temporarily / permanently disable the MRT tool being offered via Windows Update Service, by modifying your Registry:
  • Type cmd into Cortana Search field, then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys together
  • Click yes when UAC prompts you
  • Now in the elevated command prompt type the following commands:

Code:
    reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MRT

Press Enter, then type the following:

Code:
    reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MRT /v "DontOfferThroughWUAU" /t REG_DWORD /d 1

Press Enter then type exit and press Enter again to close the elevated command prompt.

• Now just restart computer, for changes to take affect.

To reverse this modification:

Either type the following to remove the MRT key completely:

Code:
    reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MRT /f

or type the following to remove the DWORD value:

Code:
    reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MRT /v "DontOfferThroughWUAU" /f

or type the following to modify the DWORD value to 0 ( disabling it, and thus allow Microsoft to offer MRT via WU service):

Code:
    reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MRT /v "DontOfferThroughWUAU" /t REG_DWORD /d 0

Again, you'll need to restart computer for these changes to take affect.

Ask a Question