Is this a Virus

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got this sneaking suspicion that I have a Virus waiting for my curiosity to get the best of me or mistakenly push the "Install" button. The following little window keeps popping up over the tool bar. I can't find out what it wants to install and I don't install anything without a name. I've looked in "Task Manager" to see what is running with no joy. Maybe someone has seen this before?

Help me oh Wizards of Windows 10

upload_2015-10-8_18-31-12.png

Reaction score
1. For a peace of mind, run a full virus scan with the anti-virus program you have installed.
If you don't have one, I strongly recommend Malwarebytes. It is the best in my book.
The following is the download link. Choose the FREE edition for now. If you like it that much, you can purchase the paid version later on.
https://www.malwarebytes.org/products/
After install, run the Updates first, then run the Scan.

2. You have let a software downloaded and it's now asking to be installed. That, you and I both know. What we don't know is ... what is it.
I would speculate that you installed something and during the download, something else was also offered and you clicked Next without reading what was on the screen.

How long ago this issue started ?
If you remember a date BEFORE this "popup" appears, run a system restore, pick a date that is 3 or 4 days before the popup appeared as your restore point.
If you need to know how to do system restore, please post back.

The above probably is not the solution, but it's a start.
You need to figure out what you had installed shortly before the popup started. That could be the culprit.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is it a Samsung computer?

Samsung has quite a bit of proprietary software, which it installs together with the OS.

I think the message could be from, for example, Verizon.

But, have a look first in your regular browser, and see what you have as your default download folder. The program which is producing it may be in there, in which case you can delete it, or investigate it.
Alternatively, look in the task manager and see if you can identify an active process, or, in task manager, look in the startup tab, there could be a clue there.
If nothing leads you further, then, what I would do, is make an image of my installation with a third party program such as Macrium, and store it somewhere in a folder outside of your OS. Then run the program and see if, at any stage, you can cancel the process or delete it afterwards

The advantage of doing either of these things is that you can then identify the download, and possibly prevent it recurring.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
From the image that you included in your Original Post it would seem that it is coming from the notification area and apparently from one of the hidden icons.
You might start by first exposing those that are hidden to see if that provides you with a clue as to which running program is producing that.
Click Start -> Settings-> System -> Notifications & Actions -> Select which icons appear on the taskbar
At the very top move the slider to the right "On" = Always show all icons in the notification area

See if that helps reveal what is going on.

Ask a Question