Windows Update Virus

Reaction score
I did a complete update that I had been putting off since April. It took half the day but I did it. This was 2 days ago. This morning my I get a notification that my computer needs to be updated. I have had so many viruses piggy back on these updates it's the main reason I don't like to do them. I have Windows Defender and Virus Protection and they still get through. How do I know which updates are necessary? Or what updates have been done with a virus attached?

Reaction score
I've never heard of Windows updates installing viruses.
Run CCleaner and your virus protection, Defender select full scan, it will tale some time to perform a full scan.
After cleaning your PC, go to Settings > Update and Security and click on update now let Windows determine the updates required to bring your machine up to current version. Follow the restart prompt options if any to install the updates.

Reaction score
Same here, never gotten a virus or malware from Official Microsoft updates.

Reaction score
I agree. The only other updates I get other than MS are Chrome (Google) , Firefox, Thunderbird and Itunes/Icloud.

All pretty reliable sites to get updates from I think.

Never have had a virus that Defender or MLB has not detected immediately.

Reaction score
I did a complete update that I had been putting off since April. It took half the day but I did it. This was 2 days ago. This morning my I get a notification that my computer needs to be updated. I have had so many viruses piggy back on these updates it's the main reason I don't like to do them. I have Windows Defender and Virus Protection and they still get through. How do I know which updates are necessary? Or what updates have been done with a virus attached?

You said, you have Windows Defender AND Virus protection. Does that mean you have something else as well? If so, then what do you have running?

I never had updates infested with viruses and I only use Windows update (or the update catalog) to keep my machines up-to-date.
I am thinking you have some third party software installed and got a lot of junk with it (that happens if one only clicks on [next] instead of unchecking all the junk to be installed). I am not saying that you did it but it is a common issue.

Reaction score
I'd be curious to know what the other virus protection is. I've never heard of an istance where there's been a virus come through a windows update. These come directly from Microsoft. Defender won't run in the background if you have another anti virus program installed by the way.

Reaction score
well I upgraded two nights ago now my computer won't run says checksum doesn't match the checksum I'm not happy have switched updates on this notebook.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
well I upgraded two nights ago now my computer won't run says checksum doesn't match the checksum I'm not happy have switched updates on this notebook.
Typically that error is associated with some bad RAM.
You might want to
Download Memtest86+ from this location here. Burn the ISO to a CD and boot the computer from the CD from a cold boot after leaving it off for an hour.

Ideally let it run for at least 7 passes / 6-8 hours (overnight even better). First test system as presently configured with all RAM modules in place, If errors appear before that you can stop that particular test. Any time Memtest86+ reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad Mobo slot. Perform the test on RAM sticks individually as well as all possible combinations. When you find a good one then test it in all slots.
See this Guide to using Memtest 86+

IF you're setting your RAM timings manually, you might want to try dumbing them down a bit below specs and see if that helps resolve the problem.
You might also try removing a single stick of RAM and see if that has any impact.

Reaction score
Sorry my last post never took. I forund my problem in the ram timing if set to 933mhx x whatever it won't run with 4x8g ram but 4x8g ram will run at 800mhz ddr3 x 1600 in the manuat this timing is specifyed but on the mb box the higher 933mhz x 1866 i think. So my ram is good just a weird mb but the clock timing was reset to auto some how and this stopped it running. I did two things i replaced the power supply and wires and also reset the timing of the memory its running like a charm now its an asrock 980de3/u3s3 R2.0 just incase someone has one the same and can't get it working. error code oxc0000098 or oxc00000225 and also checksum is corrupt can't find windows/system32/winload.exe which creates the illusion that your hdd or boot files are damaged when nothing is wrong except the clock timing.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I forund my problem in the ram timing if set to 933mhx x whatever it won't run with 4x8g ram
I had a similar confounding problem a few years back with a different AMD motherboard.
It seems to have something to do with the integrated memory controller if all motherboard memory modules are populated.
I wrote about it here
https://windowsforum.com/threads/my-bsod-odyssey.115660/

I could either remove a single stick or dumb it down or increase the memory voltage.
I decided that running it a bit slower was the best option for me.

Reaction score
Only 4 days it took you trouble took me 3 months in 2016 to work out my problems with this ram/mb issue.

Ask a Question