Issues with 20H2 update...

Reaction score
Now how can I put this.... the new version is still crap!

I have just spent 6 hours doing the update from v1909 to 20H2 on my 4 year old HP ENVY 17-N152SA i7 12GB RAM laptop... yes, like last time when I tried to update to v2002 it took 6 hours!... and.... the same as last time...

The HP 3D Driveguard will not work.... and a restart from desktop screen to desktop screen took 10 mins.... a "normal" shutdown at the end of the day takes 5 mins and the same to start up... v1909 takes a couple of minutes max...

This update will be forced on users at some stage so, I for one will have a laptop that Microsoft will break... and have no choice.. so I will either have to buy a new compatible laptop OR just live with the issues it causes... once it has booted it works perfect, unless someone knows the reason...

Macrium Reflect, 10 mins to restore to this morning and it is running smooth and fast again....

Strange thing this morning... I manually checked for updates as I have many times and it started to install the v20H2 update even though I did not click the message asking if you wanted to download and install....

So I had only just done a Macrium back up about 45 mins earlier, restored to that and as usual after a reboot it tried to check for updates and it tried to do it again without any input from me..

I have now used the "wushowhide" program and hidden the feature update... and all is OK now, not trying to download but the message just below the check now button has now gone that said the "feature update was available do you want to download and install"

Are they forcing it out as of today? or a glitch in windows update? up until now when I check updates it never just started the install of 20H2 or any other for that matter...

Capture.JPG

I have thought as the HP 3D Drivegiard is not working I wonder if that is what causes my slow boot and shut down, it is waiting for it to do its job but is not compatible if that make sense... need to find out how to uninstall it and try again I think but it is just a driver not in the programs section in control panel..

If I go to the HP website and look at drivers it is no longer shown... wonder if they know there is an issue or have just stopped supporting it and I need to remove it now...

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers...01?sku=N9Q54EA

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Reaction score
Hi

Checked all drivers but not the BIOS seems strange I have had no issues at all with all updates apart from v2002/v20H2

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
While looking on the HP driver page, I saw 3 firmware updates, 2 of which are from the later part of 2019.

I would double check your driver dates from device manager with the latest updates from your driver support page and update accordingly. Then I would do the BIOS update. Then check to see if 20H1 and 20H2 update for you.

If not....I would download the 20H2 ISO and do a clean install of 20H2.

Reaction score
I have been advised to try using the Windows 10 media creation tool to see if the upgrade goes any better...

What is the difference?
Will it do the same sort of update as the WU? i.e keep all programs and files..

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have been advised to try using the Windows 10 media creation tool to see if the upgrade goes any better...

What is the difference?
Will it do the same sort of update as the WU? i.e keep all programs and files..
Yes Stuart that is exactly how i do my new windows versions as i use the creation tool to access, do an "upgrade"all files and folders as saved only the os version is changed. "20H2" Takes about 1 and half hours and have done this rather that the installed windows auto update feature. done this for the last 3 big version changes.Also bios update may be necessary if its not been update for some time John

Reaction score
Yes Stuart that is exactly how i do my new windows versions as i use the creation tool to access, do an "upgrade"all files and folders as saved only the os version is changed. "20H2" Takes about 1 and half hours and have done this rather that the installed windows auto update feature. done this for the last 3 big version changes.Also bios update may be necessary if its not been update for some time John

Thank you I will give it a try the weekend, not sure it will work any better as I think something else is causing my slowness...

Will it keep all my programs I have added?

Reaction score
Thank you I will give it a try the weekend, not sure it will work any better as I think something else is causing my slowness...

Will it keep all my programs I have added?
this method only replaces win10 os. nothing is removed. this upgrade method checks your pc and downloads win10 to be upgraded to 20H2 using the 20H2 media creation tool which you need to download first

Reaction score
R/click on task bar click on task manager /performance to check pc performance

Do all your checks before you use the windows media tool as the up grade won't change the pc's performance

Reaction score
I gave this a try on Friday, a plus it only took 3 hours, still longer than in the past but less than the 6 hours it took the last twice with 2002 and 20H2 but still same issues so I suspect the issue is a driver or something on this laptop which never caused an issue before..

I am looking to go to an SSD drive which a local computer store will change over for me then try again... and they will see if they can find the issue..

Once it starts up it works perfect but timing in yesterday from pressing the power button to a working desktop took almost 10 mins... v1909 which it is now back on takes less than a couple of minutes... :(

I suspect as the HP 3D Driveguard stops working that may be the issue or one of the issues but as I can see no way to remove it or disable it I cannot test that... it is not in programs, or services..

Reaction score
I didn't have any luck installing the 20H2 Feature update.

I had a problem with the display pix-elating everywhere my mouse pointer moved.

It all went downhill after a restart and that's all she wrote. (sigh)

Wasted almost 3hrs only to brick my desktop which worked excellent until installing the 20H2 Feature update.

It's beginning to feel like it did when I first started using Windows 10 seems like every few updates created problems.

Guess I'll see if I can recover from it although without any desktop / user interface I may be unable to and just be SOL.

HP desktops and Nvidia graphics just seem to be problematic for me in Windows 10 and Linux however I'm using old Vista desktops.

Not being negative just frustrated that's all.

My apologies for dumping in your thread.

Reaction score
I didn't have any luck installing the 20H2 Feature update.

I had a problem with the display pix-elating everywhere my mouse pointer moved.

It all went downhill after a restart and that's all she wrote. (sigh)

Wasted almost 3hrs only to brick my desktop which worked excellent until installing the 20H2 Feature update.

It's beginning to feel like it did when I first started using Windows 10 seems like every few updates created problems.

Guess I'll see if I can recover from it although without any desktop / user interface I may be unable to and just be SOL.

HP desktops and Nvidia graphics just seem to be problematic for me in Windows 10 and Linux however I'm using old Vista desktops.

Not being negative just frustrated that's all.

My apologies for dumping in your thread.
worth a read if your system has vista m.board
I have upgrade win7 system using the windows media tool process. one or two core cpu,s can run ok but win 10 i find needs 8 gig of ram and at least a four core processor to handle win10 smoothly .you can upgrade to win10 for free using the windows media creation tool and select upgrade

Last edited:
Reaction score
@john steadman

This desktop has been running Windows 10 version 1909 and was working great until I tried to install the cursed 20h2 feature update which appears to be creating some havoc on some computers.

What I meant when I said and I quote "I'm using old Vista desktops." is that Windows 10 is installed on a Vista circa desktop.

Reaction score
@john steadman

This desktop has been running Windows 10 version 1909 and was working great until I tried to install the cursed 20h2 feature update which appears to be creating some havoc on some computers.

What I meant when I said and I quote "I'm using old Vista desktops." is that Windows 10 is installed on a Vista circa desktop.
yes i understand you have win10 installed.
rather than use the windows auto update feature I use the windows media update tool to install to a new version of win10.
You can either do a clean install or update to the new version this way. i all ways use macrium reflect imaging system to keep a backup in case i have to replace a botched install of win10 software
before i use the tool i install the latest video s/ware and a handy copy of the audio s/ware. jumping from 1909 to 20h2 is a big change make sure your version win10 is up to date with 1909 and possibly 2004 if your using the auto up date method. using the media tool method allows you to do a clean install. Win10 is free and no cost involved. doing this method.

Reaction score
Windows 10 is supposed to keep itself updated and that being the case it should have been running 2004 version although I never checked.

Used the media creation tool and created 20H2 bootable media tried to do a clean install which also failed.

My old Vista desktop computer may no longer be able to support the Windows 10 feature updates can't say for certain.

If Windows 10 version 20H2 feature update fails to install and run and will not work I'm not going to spend a lot of time trying to get 20H2 feature update to install and work.

If Windows 10 fails I have Linux to fall back on so ain't no big deal as an OS is an OS and one OS ain't no better than another OS.

Five and a half one way and six another and as long as whatever OS I use gets me online securely then I'm happy.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Used the media creation tool and created 20H2 bootable media tried to do a clean install which also failed.
I've had that happen before with that method. However, using the MCT, I download the actual ISO and then us Rufus to create the bootable USB with 20H2, installed with out a hitch. Been doing that for awhile now.

Reaction score
I've had that happen before with that method. However, using the MCT, I download the actual ISO and then us Rufus to create the bootable USB with 20H2, installed with out a hitch. Been doing that for awhile now.
Guess I'll have to take a look at Rufus.

I've heard of Rufus but ain't never used it.

This was also the first time I used MCT and it seemed to work OK.

Who knows at this point I've just got a computer that powers up and on but no display.

Ask a Question