Issues with 20H2 update...

Reaction score
It does work.....but every now and then the USB ISO method gets corrupted or the install isn't quite right.
I'm thinken mine may be OK as the 20H2 feature update that came down through updates broke my working Windows 10 desktop before I made the bootable USB media using MCT.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
the 20H2 feature update that came down through updates broke my working Windows 10 desktop before
Yep....this is known since the Vista era. While the majority don't experience it a small percentage does....as OS upgrades.....from Visat to 7 and 7 to 8, 8 to 8.1 and 8.1 to 10.

For that very reason is why, on my every day PC, I do the clean install from OS to OS. On my test machine, when I had one, I'd go through the windows update channel path just to see if it would brake something.

Reaction score
For that very reason is why, on my every day PC, I do the clean install from OS to OS.
I did the Windows 10 upgrade via Windows 7 so that I could receive the Windows 10 digital license.

Once the upgraded Windows 10 digital license was obtained and activated I then did a clean install from scratch to eliminate all problems from upgrading.

Reaction score
I would avoid the 20H4 all together for now, just install the 2004 and not the enablement package. There is an issue that once installed you can not do a repair install if needed. You can test this out for yourself. Start an upgrade Repair install and you'll find that the only selection you can make it to remove everything. at that point just cancel the install. Then uninstall the enablement package and try again you will be able to keep your Files and folder!!
Now then you can upgrade to 20H4 Using the MCT but once you do you no longer can do a Repair install and keep your data and folder.
If you just upgrade to 2004 No issues, the issue is with the enablement package. So if you want to try out the enablement package install it separately that way once you see this issue and several other issues you can then uninstall it. If you upgrade using the MCT the enablement package is part of the install and not uninstallable.

Reaction score
I'll figure something out with this here Windows 10 20H2 feature update problem.

However.

I'm going to leave it be because I'm a wee bit P.O. at the whole damn 20H2 feature update as my desktop was working really well before this 20H2 feature update.

OH well can't blame anyone but myself as I decided to download and install it. (sigh)

Thanks for the space and listening. :)

Reaction score
I'll figure something out with this here Windows 10 20H2 feature update problem.

However.

I'm going to leave it be because I'm a wee bit P.O. at the whole damn 20H2 feature update as my desktop was working really well before this 20H2 feature update.

OH well can't blame anyone but myself as I decided to download and install it. (sigh)

Thanks for the space and listening. :)
Just uninstall it. go to All settings/Update and Securtiy/View update history/uninstall update/select the 20H2 Feature Update. It will uninstall and your done with it.

Reaction score
Just uninstall it. go to All settings/Update and Securtiy/View update history/uninstall update/select the 20H2 Feature Update. It will uninstall and your done with it.
The PC no longer has a visible display since the install of 20H2.

I haven't tried to reboot from any Windows 10 media to see if I can do a repair.

I may have to do a clean install to get my display back I don't know yet.

Reaction score
The PC no longer has a visible display since the install of 20H2.

I haven't tried to reboot from any Windows 10 media to see if I can do a repair.

I may have to do a clean install to get my display back I don't know yet.
Can your restore to a point before you install 20H2? That might save you.
I don't use restore points any more since i use Macrium Reflect. But is I remember you boot up to a Windows Install Media and go into Troubleshoot your windows. the Restore to an earlier point is there somewhere

Reaction score
@Clintlgm

OK finally got back to this desktop and did a new clean install which went without a hitch.

The 20H2 version update / upgrade came down through the Windows 10 update center and installed without a hitch.

All is working well again.

Uncertain as to what exactly the the reason or what created the problem and don't care since all is good.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm a happy Windows 10 user again.

Life is good.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
OK finally got back to this desktop and did a new clean install which went without a hitch.

The 20H2 version update / upgrade came down through the Windows 10 update center and installed without a hitch.
The first sentence is clear but the 2nd sentence contradicts the first. You say you did a clean install then turn right around and say it came from WU (window update). So which is it?

AT least you've got it fixed and a happy camper again.

Reaction score
My guess is that he installed 20H1 first then updated to 20H2 through Windows Update.
He could have skipped the step though by downloading the media creation tool (latest version) which will create automatically the 20H2 Version...

Reaction score
To clear things up I used a known good previous version of Windows 10 which I already created and had on hand.

When the install was finished I then downloaded and installed all updates.

The 20H2 update came through the Windows 10 update center as an update.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
To clear things up I used a known good previous version of Windows 10 which I already created and had on hand.
We kind of surmised that.

Just keep in mind that some users experience weird and non functional aspects of the OS when doing a Feature Update going through the Windows Update channel. It happens and we don't know why. While others will blissfully go on with the feature update with no issues at all. Usually in those instances, a new ISO is needed (latest version) to create a new bootable USB or DVD media.

Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me one bit if mine isn't because of the age and type of integrated graphics adapter mine being an Nvidia Geforce 6150 LE / SE type.

Perhaps maybe time to find a newer computer or at least a supported graphics card.

Just using the basic generic graphics driver this time instead of forcing an Nvidia proprietary graphics driver to install.

Reaction score
Hi all

Just an update to my earlier posts...

Even though I had used the Windows show/hide program to stop my 4 year old HP Envy notebook updating for some reason it started the update tonight... panic set in!

The first time I tried this both to v2004 and v20H2 the update took about 6 hours to do... and then I had big issues with boot up and shut down times, so both times i went back to v1909

About a month ago I upgraded to an SSD from the original HDD and always thought I really need to update so although I was in full panic I let it do it and had my Macrium back up just in case...

First thing.. it took about 45 mins to upgrade from v1909 to v20H2...

Second thing and I have only tried once so far, start up from pressing the power button to a useable desktop was 35 seconds and shut down about 25 seconds, about 5 seconds longer than v1909 ....so it looks like the new SSD has made a big difference or the issues have been fixed by Microsoft... guess I will never know.. but I will see how it goes..

When I did it last time with the HDD it was taking up to 5-8 mins to start up and similar to shut down ....

Capture.JPG

Amazed the difference this SSD has made, 45 mins start to finish for the v1909 to v20H2 update which, even on a good day took a couple of hours with the old HDD .... and the two updates took a matter of minutes from installing to restarted... best upgrade I have done lol ...

Stuart

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi all

Just an update to my earlier posts...

Even though I had used the Windows show/hide program to stop my 4 year old HP Envy notebook updating for some reason it started the update tonight... panic set in!

The first time I tried this both to v2004 and v20H2 the update took about 6 hours to do... and then I had big issues with boot up and shut down times, so both times i went back to v1909

About a month ago I upgraded to an SSD from the original HDD and always thought I really need to update so although I was in full panic I let it do it and had my Macrium back up just in case...

First thing.. it took about 45 mins to upgrade from v1909 to v20H2...

Second thing and I have only tried once so far, start up from pressing the power button to a useable desktop was 35 seconds and shut down about 25 seconds, about 5 seconds longer than v1909 ....so it looks like the new SSD has made a big difference or the issues have been fixed by Microsoft... guess I will never know.. but I will see how it goes..

When I did it last time with the HDD it was taking up to 5-8 mins to start up and similar to shut down ....

View attachment 13037

Amazed the difference this SSD has made, 45 mins start to finish for the v1909 to v20H2 update which, even on a good day took a couple of hours with the old HDD .... and the two updates took a matter of minutes from installing to restarted... best upgrade I have done lol ...

Stuart
Yes SSD is amazing the all-time best upgrade since the Pentium CPU. Just about the only upgrade, you can do that you actually see the difference.

Ask a Question