KB3140743 Failed to install

Reaction score
I have a suspicion that W10 updates install more reliably if there is no 3rd party AV program on the machine. I only use MS Defender and MalwareBytes and never have a problem with updates.
Same here.
I run Defender & MalawareBytes and have had no real problems.
Certainly wouldn't touch Mcafee as i think its a virus L.O.L ;)
upload_2016-3-2_17-43-6.png

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
You do realize that you are participating in a thread discussion of an update that as far as I know, only became available yesterday (KB3140743)?
Yes you are right it only be came available yesterday
Was not around 2 weeks ago

Reaction score
My Win 64 machine got through the KB3140743 upgrade alright but my wife's Win 64 machine lost its startup icons. I noticed that on my working machine if I right click the startup icon I get the same strange looking menu that she gets with a left click.
I have to figure this out because the wife is kick'n my butt...

Reaction score
Apparently, the problems with KB3140743 are exploding all over the web... Last time (the 1511 update) someone provided a manual installation workaround, but nothing for this one yet. It may be wise to put this update on hold for a while :) Well done Microsoft... :mad:

Reaction score
I found the following solved the problem with the failed Windows 10 Update.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...r/a2bfb3c3-665f-4f22-92d9-cf82f0a950be?auth=1

This is an issue with a specific update (KB3140743), and not with windows update in general. Just the fact that so many people are having a problem with it, proves that the problem is the update itself and not your machine or environment. I'm sharing that with you because I managed to mess up my configuration once (long time ago) because of a crappy windows update and so I learned my lesson. If your machine was working fine before KB3140743, you probably shouldn't mess with it. It's not the problem.

Reaction score
I have a suspicion that W10 updates install more reliably if there is no 3rd party AV program on the machine. I only use MS Defender and MalwareBytes and never have a problem with updates.
Avast free and windows fire wall no problems

Reaction score
posted yesterday on general discussions about my problems with the latest update (KB3140743)both updates installed but not showing on windows updates so could not rollback i,had to revert to a restore point to fix the problem,but (KB3140743)is back and waiting to be installed,got it on hold for the present to see if they cancel the update.gothy.

Reaction score
posted yesterday on general discussions about my problems with the latest update (KB3140743)both updates installed but not showing on windows updates so could not rollback i,had to revert to a restore point to fix the problem,but (KB3140743)is back and waiting to be installed,got it on hold for the present to see if they cancel the update.gothy.

You can stop it from trying to reinstall. I used the following thingy and it seems to be working fine:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

For the rest... I feel with you! I'm in exactly same spot (and we're not exactly alone...)

Reaction score
Went in ok with McAfee Antivirus
Also when it goes in you will find it will hang at 6% for a while then 90% on download
Then will go to install and will hang a gain for a while
If you press anything or move your mouse cursor it will play up
If anyone interested this is what the latest update fixes

changelog KB3140743

• Improved reliability in numerous areas, including OS and Windows Update installation, start up, installing and configuring Windows for the first time, authentication, resuming from hibernation, shutdown, kernel, Start menu, storage, Windows Hello, display modes, Miracast, App Locker, Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge browser, network connectivity and discovery, and File Explorer.
  • Improved performance in video thumbnail generation, Net Logon, Windows Store, and standby power consumption.
  • Improved support for devices including some wearables, displays, and printer scenarios.
  • Reset app default when a registry setting is deleted or corrupted and streamlined notification about the corruption.
  • Fixed an issue causing favorites to be lost after updates are installed.
  • Fixed several issues that individually could cause certain apps to fail to launch, update, or allow in-app purchases.
  • Improved quality of Cortana voices and translations of multiple languages of an Internet Explorer dialog box.
  • Improved support for apps, fonts, graphics and display, airplane mode, Group Policy, PowerShell MDM, Windows Journal, Microsoft Edge, printing, touch display, roaming credentials, Push-Button Reset, Windows UX, local and streaming video, audio quality, error reporting, USMT, and VHD creation.
I beg to differ and I know that is what Microsoft says is "fixed" in this KB but you have to get it INSTALLED before it fixes anything and right now, based on the Google hit count regarding this failed KB, I think you're only one of 10 who actually got it installed.

When I attempt to install it, it hangs my PC for hours, same as everyone else where it fails and it doesn't help if I disable every NON-Microsoft Service and Startup program including the ones that I wrote (I've been a Windows Developer since 1985 and I have friends and colleagues on both the Windows OS and Visual Studio Teams), I get the same results - reboot 3 times then roll it back and reboot 3 more times only to hang for 3+ hours before I can login again and the login process takes another 2+ hours. It's gotten so bad with Windows 10 for me that I am quite literally terrified at the prospect of having to reboot! Windbg is useless as not even a single bug check is generated during the failed process and the only entry in the EventLog is that this KB failed to install and it doesn't bother to even provide the cryptic hex code(s) that Microsoft programs generally provide when they fail to work as advertised.

I am SERIOUSLY questioning what is going on up in Redmond these days as well - I have 4 other PC's with the DREADED "Missing protocols" error message that is totally unresolvable even after more than 4 days of working directly with 5 different Microsoft Level 3 tech support people including my friends on the OS Team!

So after 30+ years of writing Windows Software and working with Microsoft Windows technologies, I am now finding myself seriously considering a total paradigm shift and move all I have over to Linux. Not good Redmond, not good. FWIW - I know many other Windows Developers considering the same because of this debacle they're calling Windows 10 ...

Reaction score
As for KB3140743 I am one of those 1 in 10 for which it installed first time with no problems at all. But then ever since the original update from W7 my PC has had no problems with W10... I wonder why. I have a wirelessly attached printer and unlike many people, that just works as well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
@LordDelacroix As a ( now retired) system software developer since the '60s these assorted problems with W10 give me the feeling that there is a bug, probably very simple, deep down. Something like an incorrectly initialized variable or perhaps bad memory allocation or release under some circumstances. I can remember doing stuff like making the memory in any allocation being returned full of a large -ve number and then doing regression testing to see if something broke!

Reaction score
As for KB3140743 I am one of those 1 in 10 for which it installed first time with no problems at all. But then ever since the original update from W7 my PC has had no problems with W10... I wonder why. I have a wirelessly attached printer and unlike many people, that just works as well.

I guess you pray a lot? Seriously, what's your message here?

Reaction score
... I am SERIOUSLY questioning what is going on up in Redmond these days as well ...

MyLord, the thing is that WU is no longer handled in Redmond... It's been outsourced a while ago (I guess at about the same time the wave of WU troubles started). I have nothing against outsourcing as long as it works, of course.

Reaction score
@LordDelacroix As a ( now retired) system software developer since the '60s these assorted problems with W10 give me the feeling that there is a bug, probably very simple, deep down. Something like an incorrectly initialized variable or perhaps bad memory allocation or release under some circumstances. I can remember doing stuff like making the memory in any allocation being returned full of a large -ve number and then doing regression testing to see if something broke!

Well, it was a simple comma "," error that crashed the space shuttle back when we were programmers... I discovered that KB3140743 messed up my network (among other things) and I believe that it's either deadlocking waiting for some connection or resource (without a proper error trapping or time out mechanism implemented!), or it's failing on lack of proper privileges to do something required and gets confused (security handling has been a mess in windows for a long time now).

Whatever the bug is (and it is at least one of those in KB3140743!), I really don't care! This shouldn't be happening on OS level with any patches delivered by a truly professional company. I remember the days when it was unthinkable and simply ridiculous to have to reboot the machine after implementing some patches... Microsoft made this a "main stream" behavior already in the 80's. It used to be absurd in the Unix world back then, not to mention mainframe and other truly professional environments.

Just imagine your (cloud) data center having to reboot twice a week, or your mobile provider having to shut down a couple of hours every now and then just to implement a few updates... Really? So how about Microsoft? We've learned to live with that in windows, but we shouldn't have to struggle with crappy updates on top of it! Pardon my french...

Reaction score
I guess you pray a lot? Seriously, what's your message here?
I guess Tim Locke was just pointing out that he along with many others has had no real problems with updates.
To be honest my updates have gone well which makes you wonder why some have problems and others don't. o_O

Reaction score
I guess Tim Locke was just pointing out that he along with many others has had no real problems with updates.
To be honest my updates have gone well which makes you wonder why some have problems and others don't. o_O

So it's Ok then, or what?

Yeah... It would have been something if not a single installation in the world went well. M$ haven't achieved that yet, but I'm sure it's not far down this road.

Reaction score
@WillyK I guess I don't understand why so many installations fail. Certainly your possibilities are likely as well. Seen 'em all as well as mine! I have had the Insider releases on two machines since spring '15 and even those my machines have been lucky.

I totally agree with you that real systems just should not fail nor require reboots nowadays.

Reaction score
@WillyK I guess I don't understand why so many installations fail. Certainly your possibilities are likely as well. Seen 'em all as well as mine! I have had the Insider releases on two machines since spring '15 and even those my machines have been lucky.

I totally agree with you that real systems just should not fail nor require reboots nowadays.

No worries, Tim. Sorry for being "a bit" frustrated, but it's clearly not you I'm mad about. I wasted many good hours yesterday cleaning up the mess that KB3140743 left... while my deadlines stand still. I just regret that I didn't check what this update was all about (in a hurry). I usually do that. If I knew that it was a major OS revamp, I would have waited. My bad...

Ask a Question