KB3140743 Failed to install

Reaction score
So it's Ok then, or what?

Yeah... It would have been something if not a single installation in the world went well. M$ haven't achieved that yet, but I'm sure it's not far down this road.

Yes its damn annoying when things go wrong.
But sadly we don't live in a perfect world.
Come to think of it i have made a living repairing things that have gone wrong. ;)

Reaction score
Yes its damn annoying when things go wrong.
But sadly we don't live in a perfect world.
Come to think of it i have made a living repairing things that have gone wrong. ;)

Great! Let's have it then. I can't wait to be done with the KB3140743 update and move on. I'll donate $$$ right away, and if everybody your fix is helping does the same... you could be a billionaire tomorrow! ;)

Reaction score
Great! Let's have it then. I can't wait to be done with the KB3140743 update and move on. I'll donate $$$ right away, and if everybody your fix is helping does the same... you could be a billionaire tomorrow! ;)
I think we are moving away from the OP.
I don't understand the billionaire part of your post but it sounds good. o_O

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Personally I was very surprised to see an out-of-band cumulative update a week before what I consider a normal "Update Tuesday" (generally the second Tuesday of the Month), so I guess I will wait and see what comes on the 8th to see if there is a fix for their fix and in the mean time......
To temporarily prevent the driver or update from being reinstalled until a new driver or updated fix is available, a troubleshooter is available that provides a user interface for hiding and showing Windows Updates and drivers for Windows 10. You can obtain and run the "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter by downloading it from the Microsoft Download Center.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Noob here.

I was able to install this update, but after installing my laptop literally took an hour to boot up, and that is no exaggeration and was not a one time occurrence. I removed the update and everything is fine. Just thought I'd share my experience.

Rich

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Noob here.

I was able to install this update, but after installing my laptop literally took an hour to boot up, and that is no exaggeration and was not a one time occurrence. I removed the update and everything is fine. Just thought I'd share my experience.
Rich
I believe it was quite a large update.
Only difference i have seen is my external hard drive icon has changed. o_O

Reaction score
I guess Tim Locke was just pointing out that he along with many others has had no real problems with updates.
To be honest my updates have gone well which makes you wonder why some have problems and others don't. o_O

Bloody good question! Now I do know many others who have been able to get this installed without issue and FWIW in personal and quite informal poll is that those who DID get it to work are not joined / attached to a Domain. I am and everyone of my Windows 10 machines has had nothing but problems.
MyLord, the thing is that WU is no longer handled in Redmond... It's been outsourced a while ago (I guess at about the same time the wave of WU troubles started). I have nothing against outsourcing as long as it works, of course.

You probably should have read my entire message. Several of my friends and colleagues, with whom I've worked over the years are now on the OS or Visual Studio Teams. Microsoft Employees still write it all. There is no outsourcing in or on the development side but you are correct about the remainder of the development cycle. Testing and deployment have been outsourced and it does seem odd that WU issues began around that time. Rather like the DOS issues with viruses that began in the 80's when PC Tools released the first anti-virus program and sales slumped. Shortly afterwards virus incidents in the wild skyrocketed and have yet to simmer down. There is nothing quite like creating your own self fed market is there? No I'm not making that statement loosely or wildly. I have long suspected that the incidents of viruses that began around that time came from the very Corporations that created the then useless antivirus programs because prior to their introduction, I had never seen a single one, ever.

All that said, there is no excuse for checking "fixes" into source control that break things. Plain and simple unit testing must be adequately accomplished prior to check in and that clearly is NOT happening up there any longer.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Noob here.

Rich
Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your experience with this issue.

Reaction score
I believe it was quite a large update.
Only difference i have seen is my external hard drive icon has changed. o_O

I think I should have been more clear. (I'm on pain pills after knee surgery. That's my excuse.) ;)

Every time I restarted my laptop it took an hour to get to the Windows login screen. It wasn't just the installation that took a while. I deactivated any unneeded start up programs, rebooted, and it still took an hour. I uninstalled the update and everything was fine. So for those who said they can't install the update, you might be better off. :D That's my experience, anyway.

Rich

Reaction score
First advice helps.
Download your antivir prog for new install at end.
Test for malware..
Disable all driver in startup with msconfig (press win+r, type: msconfig, press: return). Deinstall all antivir programms/packs and firewalls .
Deinstall all framework.
If any updates takes very long and computer stops, it may be, there is an other firewall installed. Delete it.
I used 360 total security and GlassWire.

Reboot.
Run update.
Reboot.
MSconfig enable all Startup Driver
Reboot
Reinstall antivir.
Reinstall firewall.
ready.

excause my bad english.

Reaction score
First advice helps.
Test for malware..
Disable all driver in startup with msconfig (press win+r, type: msconfig, press: return). Deinstall all antivir programms/packs and firewalls .
Deinstall all framework.
If any updates takes very long and computer stops, it may be, there is an other firewall installed. Delete it.

Reboot.
Run update.
Reboot.
Reboot
Reinstall antivir.
Reinstall firewall.
ready.

excause my bad english.
First advice helps.
Test for malware..
Deinstall all framework.

Reboot.
Run update.
Reboot.
Reboot
Reinstall antivir.
Reinstall firewall.
ready.

excause my bad english.

I finally got it installed but I had to do it the same way I got 1511 installed .... Format :(

Reaction score
I have tried every trick in the book and I cannot install this even offline
fail.PNG

Reaction score
once again ME TOO, stuck on 45%.tried all suggestions here to get it going but nothing, zilch nada.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Maybe this Tuesday will have an update that'll fix some of this stuff.
Was just reading this http://windowsreport.com/kb3140743-issues/
Notice that this site, perhaps this thread was mentioned.
It certainly appears that this update has caused a lot of issues.

Reaction score
I spent over 1 1/2 hours on the phone with MS Windows 10 support, He gained access to my PC and did all kinds of stuff but could not get it to install. He said the only thing left to do was a repair install. Well it hung at 41% then BSOD'd. He said that he would call me back in a couple hours when I started this repair. He did call and I told him what happened and he said that MS is aware of this issue and that they are working on a fix. I hope it is Tuesday. He did say there have been many no fix cases. I was really surprised that hew spent so much time and effort on this. KUDOs to MS!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I tried multiple fixes - including the Windows Update repair script.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...s/2e26953d-58c4-4704-b627-4a743e87e15c?auth=1

I finally downloaded the troubleshooter that allows you to block any update, just as you used to be able to do in older Windows versions.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ndows-10/659d2e50-978e-4ab5-9f27-23342be283c2

This should prevent my computer from having to try - unsuccessfully - to install this at least once each day and take 7 reboots before I can get back into my computer.

Get the troubleshooter and block this.

Reaction score
I blocked it with that tool. The guy from MS support told me that they are working on a fix. Soon I hope.

Reaction score
Rumor has it that there will be a Windows Update later today that will fix this.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3140768)
Available now. Guess we'll see if things get better or worse.

Ask a Question