KB3140743 Failed to install

Reaction score
MS can kiss my Butt. I spent all of that time yesterday with the MS Tech and this one will not install either. So I am back on 14279 and I will take the ride until it becomes RTM. I may try dual booting with Linux.

@Trouble

Reaction score
If you are on 14279 why do you care about 3140768? That is an update for 1511 10586.

The latest news about the Redstone path which 14279 is on is now release in 2017.

r do you have several machines as I do? Some Insiders and some Production?

Reaction score
If you are on 14279 why do you care about 3140768? That is an update for 1511 10586.

The latest news about the Redstone path which 14279 is on is now release in 2017.

r do you have several machines as I do? Some Insiders and some Production?

Because I went back to it. There will be a large update in late June. I now am back on 14279 due to this problem.

Reaction score
I have since the start with build 9926 maybe the second build. But since it does not seem to update properly I will stick with 14279.:)

Reaction score
I am still not quite understanding. You alternate between running the production release ( 1511) and the Insider release and when a couple of production updates don't work for you, you then ignore the production release and go back the the Insider release and as you are on 14279 those updates obviously DO work for you.
Is this multiple PC s, VMs or dual booting?
You must have time on your hands Gideon.

Reaction score
I am still not quite understanding. You alternate between running the production release ( 1511) and the Insider release and when a couple of production updates don't work for you, you then ignore the production release and go back the the Insider release and as you are on 14279 those updates obviously DO work for you.
Is this multiple PC s, VMs or dual booting?
You must have time on your hands Gideon.

I use an SSD and Macrium Reflect. I wanted to return to the RTM but it would not and still will not update. In the beginning I did dual boot. To restore an image from MR takes about 2 minutes. Yes I have nothing but time on my hand as I am 67 years old and retired. MS did not seem to care....

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hey Gid....
Next time you're bored, go here
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=KB3140768
YOu have to use Internet Explorer. Even edge won't work with the update catalog.
Download the correct standalone installer for your system archtecture, then.....
Try clean booting the system and see if that produces any relief. Run it like that for a day or two and check Windows Update manually in the interim to make sure everything is up to date.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
Use the steps for Windows 8 / 8.1 (same for Windows 10)
Easily done and easily undone.
You're basically just disabling all Startup Items and all non-Microsoft services. Do no mess with the Microsoft services. Be sure to check the box to hide them before proceeding.
AND
See if you can then run the standalone installer and get it to work on your 10586 TH_2 version. Uninstall your third party security suite too. You can reinstall it later.

Reaction score
Hey Gid....
Next time you're bored, go here
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=KB3140768
YOu have to use Internet Explorer. Even edge won't work with the update catalog.
Download the correct standalone installer for your system archtecture, then.....
Try clean booting the system and see if that produces any relief. Run it like that for a day or two and check Windows Update manually in the interim to make sure everything is up to date.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
Use the steps for Windows 8 / 8.1 (same for Windows 10)
Easily done and easily undone.
You're basically just disabling all Startup Items and all non-Microsoft services. Do no mess with the Microsoft services. Be sure to check the box to hide them before proceeding.
AND
See if you can then run the standalone installer and get it to work on your 10586 TH_2 version. Uninstall your third party security suite too. You can reinstall it later.

I did that, did not help. The MS Tech did not Help. I have no clue and neither does MS.

Reaction score
well, installed the newest update...and the white circle of death has been spinning for a little under an hour. I'll do some troubleshooting later. For now I'll just wait for the wheel to stop spinning...

Reaction score
Yep, KB3140768 ssdd. it does still claim at least to remove the failed install as before and I have not BSOD'd. This appears to be another one to block.

Reaction score
Quick update. After running system restore I used wushowhide.diagcab on the machine that refused the KB3140743 update last week. So it hid the update until last night when it grabbed new update KB 3140768. Well more of the same tbh. Instead of getting stuck at 83% it got all the way to 100% and then got stuck. Progress I guess but I've run another system restore and added this update to my hide list. Wondering how long that list will be before microsoft sort this mess out properly. Windows 10 is currently more of a dis-service than a service and I imagine we can all do without the extra work !

Reaction score
I had five updates the repeatedly failed to install. Searching around I found one claim it is caused by not having Windows Firewall enabled. This is my case because I run AVG Internet Security that disables the Windows firewall. So against all the received wisdom that one should not have two firewalls enabled, I re-enabled Windows Firewall while keeping the AVG one active, and lo and behold, all the updates installed in one fell swoop and there seems to be no contention between firewalls. I tried asking AVG for advice but received no answer.

Reaction score
SOLVED! (this workaround may not work for everybody, but chances are very good!)

After the failing KB3140743, and equally failing KB3140768 (had to hide them both), finally a possible solution appear on a very hot Microsoft Technet discussion (you may search "Microsoft Technet KB3140768" if you like to see that).

1) Following the instructions suggested, I opened a command prompt with admin privileges and pasted in:
icacls c:\windows\serviceprofiles\localservice\appdata\local\microsoft\ngc /grant "NT SERVICE\NgcCtnrSvc":(OI)(CI)F
then hit return and closed the window. (you should see confirmation of successful execution)

2) Next I opened the wushowhide.diagcab and took KB3140768 off the hidden list where I put it before.
Just in case, I rebooted the PC to make sure everything is setup right.

3) Then I went to Settings --> Update & Security and the KB3140768 was waiting there ready for install (I don't use automatic windows update). So I clicked the [Install] button and the KB3140768 installation started. It went thru flawlessly and rebooted the PC fine completing the installation as expected without any errors in due time.

Check: So I executed winver in the run box on my desktop and the PC had updated to the latest build 10586.164.

Now, as I said this workaround has been confirmed to do the trick by many users (including me), but it may not work for you. I hope it does! Rumors are that Microsoft is working on yet another version of this update... time will show.

Over and out for now

Last edited:
Reaction score
Interesting survey 2016! (56,033 coders in 173 countries, 45 questions)
Check it out: http://stackoverflow.com/research/developer-survey-2016

Quick excerpt for you - The most popular Operating System (OS) platform for new applications per 2016:
Hottest_OS_2016.jpg

Reaction score
@LordDelacroix As a ( now retired) system software developer since the '60s these assorted problems with W10 give me the feeling that there is a bug, probably very simple, deep down. Something like an incorrectly initialized variable or perhaps bad memory allocation or release under some circumstances. I can remember doing stuff like making the memory in any allocation being returned full of a large -ve number and then doing regression testing to see if something broke!

I suspect that you're onto something there. Problem is though, that MS laid off the entire TESTING TEAM for all products some 3+ years ago. You read that right. There are NO MORE TESTERS working for Microsoft on ANY of its products. Developers are now responsible, totally, for their releases. Given the TRILLIONS of various combinations of hardware/software environments in the wild, I doubt MS will ever recover without hiring a new set of testers.

Ask a Question