Laptop shuts off when unplugged and need to plugged in to boot

Reaction score
i have a acer laptop with new replace hdd and recently updated(not intended) to windows 10 20H2 10.0.19042.487

my battery is not removable

Reaction score
According to your title I would say your battery is down for the count. The battery is removable, it just takes a little more effort as one has to take the laptop apart to do so but I have done it before. Look on the web. there are many tutorials. Just don't start before you have the replacement battery...

Reaction score
Yeah, those fully internal batteries are gel-paks, do require some disassembly to get to them. I have a couple Notebooks like that, it's a result of the lighter thinner technology.

Reaction score
No, will just have to keep it plugged into an outlet. Do be aware when those batteries start to go bad there will be some bulging of the palmrest/keyboard frame, if left to its own devices will eventually break the plastic.

There is one possibility that the charging circuit to the battery is bad but generally that also applies to the circuit leading from the power plug to other things.

Reaction score
i just notice it yea of i unplugged directly to the charger it goes off but if i pulled out directly to the wall socket it does not
can this be repairable?

Reaction score
That would appear to be the problem is in the power socket, soldered to the motherboard and may or may not be easily fixed. My daughter has an older Notebook with the same problem even with a new battery.

Reaction score
That would appear to be the problem is in the power socket, soldered to the motherboard and may or may not be easily fixed. My daughter has an older Notebook with the same problem even with a new battery.

UPDATE: Just talked to my daughter and the power issue she has is that unplugging the AC only turns off the display panel, computer keeps running.

Reaction score
okay so maybe this would be the last one to marked as solved "just trying my luck" here upon reading about reinstalling the battery in device manager but im not sure how to do it properly mind guiding me?

Reaction score
First one has to remove a bunch of screws then carefully remove the bottom part of the case. Then locate the battery, it will be roughly 2.5" by 6.5" with mounting ears. You most likely won't find a replacement nearby, have to order from the Internet or through a local repair shop. Pay extreme attention to what is done so the reverse is done to put back into use.

Ask a Question