Laptop shuts down instead of sleep

Reaction score
Hello!

I recently upgraded to win10 (yay), which caused a slight issue for my laptop. When I let it enter sleep mode, it would automatically wake up once every few hours or so for "important activities" or something along those lines. I did a google search and managed to find a solution via command prompt.

All was good until I recently noticed that my laptop has stopped going into hibernation/sleep properly. As far as I can work out, when the laptop is set to sleep (through power button settings, windows menu or hotkeys), it goes into sleep mode but then switched off the power supply.

Does anybody have an idea how to get the sleep/hibernate function back to normal? I have tried powercfg -h on, but that still leaves me with the power problem. Thanks in advance!

X podni

Reaction score
Troubleshooting suggestion................
Run a system file check to look for corrupt files. It will try to do repair if any found.

Right click at Start button > select Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.....

sfc /scannow
> press Enter.

It will take quite sometime. When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports : (paraphrasing )

1. No integrity violation.
2. Found corrupt files and repair successfully.
3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

If report is #1. Your solution lies elsewhere.
IF report is #2, go see if everything is now working ok.
If report is #3, please do the following........

Right click at Start button > select Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.....

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

> press Enter.

Again, it will take some time. When finished it will give you a report.
If it says operation successful, go see if everything is now working ok.

Reaction score
Troubleshooting suggestion................
Run a system file check to look for corrupt files. It will try to do repair if any found.

sfc /scannow
> press Enter.

It will take quite sometime. When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports : (paraphrasing )

1. No integrity violation.
2. Found corrupt files and repair successfully.
3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

If report is #1. Your solution lies elsewhere.
IF report is #2, go see if everything is now working ok.
If report is #3, please do the following........

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

> press Enter.

Again, it will take some time. When finished it will give you a report.
If it says operation successful, go see if everything is now working ok.

Hi!
Thanks for your lengthy reply. I tried both steps, which repaired some corrupt files, but didnt fix the problem. Do you have any other suggestions?

Reaction score
have a look at what the close lid settings are shut down or go to sleep? just a thought

also defrag notebook as somtimes the files can get hard for the computer to find a defrag will refresh your computers memory as to where all the files are.

Reaction score
have a look at what the close lid settings are shut down or go to sleep? just a thought

also defrag notebook as somtimes the files can get hard for the computer to find a defrag will refresh your computers memory as to where all the files are.

Please use some punctuation Bill. Your posts are really hard to read without it. You make some really good suggestions to help people. Just a suggestion :)

Reaction score
I have had a stroke and a nervous break down puncuation is the least of my concerns plus my thoughts won't flow freely when I respond to a post so you might as well get used to the way i write on my keyboard when i am shareing some help. I am also the worlds worst speller got fifty two cuts of the cane at school for 52 words spelt incorrectly it didn't help me spell any better. Hell I may even have a touch of ortism who knows. No need to ball me out publicly like everyone else does. Also My keyboadr doesn't process what I write as quick as I type it hence some letters around the wrong way some times or even get left out.

Reaction score
I have had a stroke and a nervous break down puncuation is the least of my concerns plus my thoughts won't flow freely when I respond to a post so you might as well get used to the way i write on my keyboard when i am shareing some help. I am also the worlds worst speller got fifty two cuts of the cane at school for 52 words spelt incorrectly it didn't help me spell any better. Hell I may even have a touch of ortism who knows. No need to ball me out publicly like everyone else does. Also My keyboadr doesn't process what I write as quick as I type it hence some letters around the wrong way some times or even get left out.

Ball you out? Please reread my post. There was nothing nasty in it or anything related to balling you out. I'm sorry for your health issues but you need to get over yourself. This is my last response to you.

Ask a Question