SOLVED Laptop will not boot up after BIOS update

Reaction score
I posted here as it is not strictly Windows 10 related. My HP Notebook (3 weeks old) will not boot up after a BIOS update recommended by the installed HP Support Assistant. I have tried a number of different 'solutions' and thought I cracked it yesterday when I downloaded the BIOS update from the HP Download site and copied into a USB. The notebook booted up OK.
Today will not boot even with the USB in.
As none of the suggestions from the HP Virtual Assistant worked It might be someone here has a solution.My nearest HP service centre is a 5-6 hr round trip so I am reluctant to set off on it until I have exhausted all other avenues

Reaction score
I know nothing about a HP Notebook. But if you are able to access the bios, is it possible there is a roll back option?
Otherwise, see if you can, in the bios, make the USB the first boot device.

Reaction score
Thanks davehc - I was about to stop this thread as I have overcome the problem. The difficulty was I could not start the notebook or gain access to any part of it. However, I persevered with a few of the solutions that had not worked as it was all I had. After a couple of hours I put the laptop to one side to watch the Super Rugby (Highlanders v Hurricanes). When I picked it up I had another go at hold down Windows and letter B, press start for 2-3 seconds and then continue holding down those buttons. Lo and behold the OS located the BIOS and started up. (this fix had not worked many times).
I stopped the notebook and then started it over a few times and all seems to be OK so I will see what comes of it.

Ask a Question