Laptop will not start stuck in loop

Reaction score
I have a HP laptop when I turn it on it shows the HP symbol then, it flashes a white outline box, then it says Attempting to recover installation then says Restoring your previous version of windows then shoots off and starts over. I have taken out the battery held down the power button and then replaced the battery. I need help. I do have a emachines desktop I can make a recovery USB with if I knew how. If that would work.

I did the start up tapping the f11 key a message comes up your pc/device needs to be repaired. I do not have a recovery disk. What can I do now?

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is my grandson's computer. I'm trying to help him. I finally got with him and asked what exactly he was doing before this happened? He was downloading windows updates. Does that make any difference?

Reaction score
He was downloading windows updates. Does that make any difference?
Hi Randie,

it may be a hardware driver problem, but that would most likely give you a BSOD (Blue screen of death) message!. I would do an upgrade install per my link above, that way, at least all the data can be saved but you will have to re-install the apps again!. ;)

Ask a Question