SOLVED Laptop Won't Start

Reaction score
I don't quite know how to describe this, but when I switched on my laptop it would just show a blank screen with a loading circle. I tried holding down my power button but when I turn it on again the same thing happens. Help would be much appreciated.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Are you able to enter safe mode at all? Normally after a few failed boots, Windows 10 will attempt this. You can try and force it as follows:

1. Hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off your device.
  2. Press the power button again to turn on your device.
  3. On the first sign that Windows has started (for example, some devices show the manufacturer’s logo when restarting) hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off your device.
  4. Press the power button again to turn on your device.
  5. When Windows restarts, hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off your device.
  6. Press the power button again to turn on your device.
  7. Allow your device to fully restart. You will enter winRE.

If this works, please try going to Advanced Options > Startup Repair. This will attempt to fix some boot problems.

Reaction score
Are you able to enter safe mode at all? Normally after a few failed boots, Windows 10 will attempt this. You can try and force it as follows:

If this works, please try going to Advanced Options > Startup Repair. This will attempt to fix some boot problems.
Thanks for the quick reply, I tried holding down the power button as soon as the Lenovo logo appeared, I repeated this again but it just proceeded to black screen with a dotted loading circle, I've tried waiting up to an hour, leaving it to load and there has been no progress.

Reaction score
I don't quite know how to describe this, but when I switched on my laptop it would just show a blank screen with a loading circle. I tried holding down my power button but when I turn it on again the same thing happens. Help would be much appreciated.
If you have waited for an hour, the the system may be trying to load a driver for some device and is having problems. It may also be looking for something on the network and can't find that. If this were happening, you might try going into the Bios and disabling whatever you could which may include Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. If you have external devices, including an SD card installed, remove them. Basically, make you system as simple as possible.

Starting from a powered down condition or a restart will have different results, so make sure and try both. Try going through the Bios setup page first.

I suppose it might also be helpful to know if you had performed any changes to your system, such as software or new device.

Have you seen any notifications about updates being performed?

And don't wait for the logo to appear, in some situations, that is too late.

Reaction score
If you have waited for an hour, the the system may be trying to load a driver for some device and is having problems. It may also be looking for something on the network and can't find that. If this were happening, you might try going into the Bios and disabling whatever you could which may include Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. If you have external devices, including an SD card installed, remove them. Basically, make you system as simple as possible.

Starting from a powered down condition or a restart will have different results, so make sure and try both. Try going through the Bios setup page first.

I suppose it might also be helpful to know if you had performed any changes to your system, such as software or new device.

Have you seen any notifications about updates being performed?

And don't wait for the logo to appear, in some situations, that is too late.
So I tried powering down and restarting, same results, there were no updates, the logo appears almost instantly so I doubt it's too late and I'm not too sure what you mean by bios, I don't have alot of knowledge on tech. Thanks for the help though!

Reaction score
All systems will have a key sequence to get into the Bios Setup page. It may be an F2 or Del or whatever your system uses. To use it you need to start tapping the key as soon as the system starts to reboot and keep tapping until you get a message that shows it sees the request.

Just the fact you have entered the Bios setup may solve some problems. And since you don't have a lot of experience, are you keeping your system up to date as far as OEM driver updates and Bios Firmware updates?

Reaction score
All systems will have a key sequence to get into the Bios Setup page. It may be an F2 or Del or whatever your system uses. To use it you need to start tapping the key as soon as the system starts to reboot and keep tapping until you get a message that shows it sees the request.

Just the fact you have entered the Bios setup may solve some problems. And since you don't have a lot of experience, are you keeping your system up to date as far as OEM driver updates and Bios Firmware updates?
Almost definitely not haha, unless they're automatic I haven't updated any of my drivers, my laptop isn't too expensive so I don't worry about too much about stuff like that, until this happened.

Last edited:
Reaction score
So I've started a factory reset, I'll inform once it has finished.
Update: This fixed it, thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Ask a Question