SOLVED Latest Windows 10 Update corrupts Ariel Narrow Font

Reaction score
After the last update (2017-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 forx64-based Systems (KB4025342)) I had an Excel spread sheet that was no longer able to display properly. I was able to determine that the Ariel Narrow Font that was used was causing the problem. The Font control panel function for Ariel did not display the Narrow version anymore. It was there at one time because I used it to create the Excel sheet and it still appeared as a valid selection for fonts in Excel. After much research and trial and error I could not recover the Narrow font. Finally I checked the fonts on my Laptop on which the spreadsheet was still working fine and found the control panel fonts for Ariel did display the Narrow versions. I was able to copy these versions and move the copies to my desktop and then paste them into the Arial font through the Control panel function and all was then good for my excel sheets that used Ariel Narrow. The system complained that the Narrow fonts already existed and I had to overwrite them.

In all of my research this simple approach to restore the font was not mentioned and the complex suggestions did not work.

If you have a similar problem I hope this approach works for you.

Ask a Question