Local Account

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just thought I'd ask....
What members and guests thought about this Microsoft practice, which seems to be, becoming more and more pervasive.

Reaction score
I have always logged in with an ms account, so the insistence is not of great concern. Nevertheless, it ha concerned me over the years, as to exactly it is that Microsoft are wishing to monitor

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Same here.... I've had an MS Account for years, but....
Still I always maintain a separate local (admin) account on my systems just as a point of personal practice.
Nothing to do with any paranoia, just like keeping my options open.

Reaction score
Well for me Local accounts are a requirement. i work remotely where there is little or no Internet available So Cloud stuff just can not work.
I do have an MS account on each of my units There are some conveniences with having an account that can be logged into from time to time.
So If I have to do a clean install its no problem for me to install with an MS account and then just create my Local account and set up to boot up to my local Account. I basically have no use for Cloud stuff. Not that I don't use some cloud things it just that they don't work out with my work. I can't have stuff that I can't access without an Internet connection. I think it will be a very long time before the Internet is available everywhere for everyone!
MS forcing this, well for the average user maybe this is a good thing. I know power users will find this annoying but we are a small portion of the people using Windows.

Reaction score
Interesting comment clint! I do have a local account running alongside the ms one, I dont use any cloud services, but, a query. I have never thought about it before. Is it at all possible to install and run a Windows system without an internet connection?

Reaction score
To avoid being forced to use an MS account during a fresh install, when it comes to part about creating an account, make sure you do not have your computer connected to the internet, you can then proceed by just creating a local account (without a password btw). If you are using a LAN cable cable, unplug it, if you are using WiFi, just click on "I don't have an internet connection"!. :)

Reaction score
So it remains unactivated? Bit off topic, sorry, but very interesting. Just trying to remember, but, when it gets to the bit for putting in the ms account, I think there is some su text worded like “use a local account instead” ? I use that first in order to have my user name folder untruncated, or wrongly allocated by MS

Last edited:
Reaction score
Interesting comment clint! I do have a local account running alongside the ms one, I don't use any cloud services, but, a query.
I have never thought about it before. Is it at all possible to install and run a Windows system without an internet connection?
Dave, I run Windows 10 Pro without an internet connection all the time. Most of the time I'm offshore on Vessel there is little or no internet.

I can't answer about installing without the internet available as I have never had to try.
On the Clean Installs I have accomplished I was able to install using my Local Account. This is important to me since my network is set up to use Authorized Users. And Activation happen without my MS account being set up.

I do log onto my MS Account, last time I needed to do this was with my 13" Dell Inspiron 7386, I did complete the original set up with my Local account then set up and logged into my MS Account. Good thing I did since Dell for some unknown reason makes Bitlocker active!!! I was in a panic actually since I had not given it a password!! Turns out My MS Account had the password and I was able to turn off the Bit Locker. So yes it is possible to run Windows 10 without an internet connection. I do have to pay attention to where things are stored and ensure that I'm storing locally. Roboform was a challenge since they went to cloud password storage.

Last edited:
Reaction score
So it remains unactivated?
It will activate as soon as you have an internet connection after the initial install process is finished!. You will obviously have to make the connection once all is done! :)

Reaction score
It will activate as soon as you have an internet connection after the initial install process is finished!. You will obviously have to make the connection once all is done! :)
Exactly! So why not go straight into it+ As I saíd, unless it has changed since my lst fresh install, you have the option in the final stages to create a local, rather than an MS account.

Reaction score
you have the option in the final stages to create a local, rather than an MS account.
Not with the latest idea from MS, if a internet connection is there during install, you don't get the option to create a local account when installing Win 10 now!. :)

Reaction score
Has that idea been implemented yet?
Yes it has Dave, I did a laptop install two days ago and that was when I first noticed it, I didn't want an MS account so I re-installed without internet and created a local account, you are also not given the option to create a password so you have to do that once the install process is finished!. :)

Reaction score
Ok. Just done a bit of googling and got more involved than I wished!
It seems that you can create the local account once you are in the desktop, and then cancel the ms account.
But being the dumb b... I went gor a fresh install and selected the option to go for the domestic log in. There
I was able to setup a local sccount. Seems it is not available on Home editions though. Current reports , hopefully accurate, are that , 1. Ms were in error, or 2. They are experimenting with a new login procedure with sn eye on counterfeiting. - take you pick. lol

Reaction score
We've a system setup for a church that has no Internet. The system is brought home when we work on it. We have Internet while we work initially. However if a local account is taken away, we could never use the OS at this church. MS attempt at taking local account out of their OS would be a mistake, for those of us who have no choice but to use it.

I personally prefer the local account and us it daily on my main. I do login on my tablet with a MS account, and it drives me nuts every time I log. Because when I use it. I don't keep it on and draining the battery. I was using a PIN but for some reason it stopped working. I'm not setting a PIN back up, if it is going to be so unreliable. One login failure attempt and it kills the current PIN usage, (Seriously MS).

Reaction score
They can indulge on my gear until their little brains are full. Nothing much to find!

Ask a Question