Local Account

Reaction score
Well after on of the updates in the beginning of Windows 10 MS was having issues with activations on PC's that changed configurations (suchs as memory). Since the original Digital Entitlement linked you hardware with activation. MS added in an update to link the Digital Entitlement to your MS account. This resulted in less calls to on upgrades that don't require purchasing a new key. Basically it linked your hardware to your account. So it's a good idea to at least have a MS account and login at least once to avoid called to call MS if you add memory or switch from a HD to a SSD.

Reaction score
Dave, I run Windows 10 Pro without an internet connection all the time. Most of the time I'm offshore on Vessel there is little or no internet.

I can't answer about installing without the internet available as I have never had to try.
On the Clean Installs I have accomplished I was able to install using my Local Account. This is important to me since my network is set up to use Authorized Users. And Activation happen without my MS account being set up.

I do log onto my MS Account, last time I needed to do this was with my 13" Dell Inspiron 7386, I did complete the original set up with my Local account then set up and logged into my MS Account. Good thing I did since Dell for some unknown reason makes Bitlocker active!!! I was in a panic actually since I had not given it a password!! Turns out My MS Account had the password and I was able to turn off the Bit Locker. So yes it is possible to run Windows 10 without an internet connection. I do have to pay attention to where things are stored and ensure that I'm storing locally. Roboform was a challenge since they went to cloud password storage.
I have several clients who have NO Internet, and so easy to continue to run legally without Activation. and No internet is needed for installation. (Ms does give every key used to install a 30 days Free to use. :)

Reaction score
Well, quite a selection of similar posts confirming the non use of the internet...

I guess if you are into an office suite and writing letter spreadsheets etc, it should not make a difference. In my own case, about 90% of my work is done on the internet, (including my mail and messages) I link my tablet to the main computer with RDP, so , at least for me, it would be very inconvenient , if not prohibitive, to work without a connection.

Reaction score
Well, quite a selection of similar posts confirming the non use of the internet...

I guess if you are into an office suite and writing letter spreadsheets etc, it should not make a difference. In my own case, about 90% of my work is done on the internet, (including my mail and messages) I link my tablet to the main computer with RDP, so , at least for me, it would be very inconvenient , if not prohibitive, to work without a connection.
Yea Dave is really a hassle without Internet or with limited bandwidth which is usually my problem some of these boats have a 125KB/s connection with 30 people trying to use it 24/7 . The most day it can take hours to send and receive email twice a day no Facebook sometimes messenger don't know about Twitter don't use it.No chance of logging on to a VPN at all, not much of anything but email and keeping daily reports under 1GB including pictures etc

Reaction score
Not to worry Clint. I read that dozens of telecommunications satellites are being launched by an enterprising company, with the plan to give us all satellite broadband - Should I live that long enough before it is offered in this country --lol

Last edited:
Reaction score
To avoid being forced to use an MS account during a fresh install, when it comes to part about creating an account, make sure you do not have your computer connected to the internet, you can then proceed by just creating a local account (without a password btw). If you are using a LAN cable cable, unplug it, if you are using WiFi, just click on "I don't have an internet connection"!. :)
Yes it has Dave, I did a laptop install two days ago and that was when I first noticed it, I didn't want an MS account so I re-installed without internet and created a local account, you are also not given the option to create a password so you have to do that once the install process is finished!. :)
Obviously, there serms to be a difference in how this can vary for the individual.
I was obliged to make a fresh install for a friend, uding the media creation tool. The ISO was placed on a usb. The Laptop was registered with Windows 10 already.
after the initial installation and restart, there was the usual rewuest to confirm my country and keyboard.
Next scree popped up with my three avaiable internet connections, from which I was supposed to elect a default.
I chose not to, ans selected “next”. A message popped up saying setup could not continue without an internet connection! !
So I chose. I then selected.
I then got to the account page. I rejected the M S login and chose a local account instead, (bottom left). Everything continued after that, normally.
fwiw. This was the very latest OS available at this time, for the public

Reaction score
Hi Dave,

I can only assume that so many people complained about it that they have reverted back to having an option for a local account?. :)

Reaction score
One thing, rather irrelevant. It wasnt my computer, but I felt so at ease with a totally freshh installation, leaving all my accumulated junk behind, that I am thinking of doing the same with all the computers. Time consuming reinstalling, I know, but then we can start again with new problems lol.

Reaction score
Just thought I'd ask....
What members and guests thought about this Microsoft practice, which seems to be, becoming more and more pervasive.

This is a big problem for me. It is important for my friend to be able to log into the user account on my computer, if I am incapacitated or dead, but Microsoft have a habit of making me change my email password whenever I cross a national border, which happens fairly often.

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

If any one needs to know how to create a local account (without internet connection), watch the below video.

Reaction score
Just to add, I have both Desktops and Notebooks with an Microsoft Account and some that have only Local Accounts. Those with only a Local Account are not much involved in productive work, have been rehabbed into useful machines instead of taking up space in the local landfill since our eWaste process got shut down, transport cost too much for what could be gained and these machines are available for others, have given away or sold cheaply depending upon the situation.

Reaction score
Just to add, I have both Desktops and Notebooks with an Microsoft Account and some that have only Local Accounts. Those with only a Local Account are not much involved in productive work, have been rehabbed into useful machines instead of taking up space in the local landfill since our eWaste process got shut down, transport cost too much for what could be gained and these machines are available for others, have given away or sold cheaply depending upon the situation.
Just the opposite for me, I have Local Accounts in use for all 5 of my computers, they all also have MS Account that I use for dealing with MS Store only, the only sync going on with MS is the New Version of Edge

Ask a Question