Lockscreen says it's off but it's on

Reaction score
We've modified our registry as per the many suggestions online to disable the Lockscreen which we really want to get rid of.

Initially this modification worked, then W10 did one of it's automatic updates and now the Lockscreen has returned.

When we tried to reset the registry settings to again disable the Lockscreen we were bemused to see our registry telling us it was definitely still disabled - which it clearly isn't.

How do we disable Lockscreen when our registry says it's already disabled yet continues to run and update itself beyond our control?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Mark,

What version of Windows 10 is installed on your system?

Start > Settings > System > About

System About.png

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Mark,

Please read my assumptions carefully first

ASSUMPTIONS:

• You Modified the following registry Hive:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows
  • Your modification added a new subkey named Personalization
  • You then modified that subkey to add a new 32-bit DWORD named NoLockScreen
  • You entered a Data value of 00000001 or 1 for the NoLockScreen DWORD

If my assumption is correct then to resolve your issue you can do the following:

• Right-click on Start
  • Left-click on Command Prompt (Admin)
  • If prompted click Yes

You will now have the Administrator: Command Prompt console open to C:\WINDOWS\System32>

• At this prompt type or copy & paste the following command, then press Enter key to execute:

REG DELETE HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Personalization

• Upon pressing Enter you will receive the following instruction:

Permanently delete the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Personalization (Yes/No)?

• Type Y or YES then press Enter key to execute and thus remove the subkey Personalization
  • You ought to now see the message:

This operation completed successfully.

The next step is to add the subkey back with its 32-bit DWORD and Data Value reset to 00000001

So we continue inside the Administrator: Command Prompt console like so:

• Type or copy & paste the following command, then press Enter key:
REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Personalization /v NoLockScreen /t REG_DWORD /d 00000001

• On this occasion you will not be prompted to say yes or no. However, if you happen to be prompted then type Y or YES then press Enter key

• Now type Exit then press Enter key to close the Administrator: Command Prompt console
  • Close any other open programs
  • Restart computer

When you log on your Lock Screen ought to be disabled. You can test that by pressing Winkey + L.

This ought to take you directly to the Login screen where you simply enter your password to return to your Desktop, or had you had a website or some other application open back to that etcetera.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hello Regedit32,
I have the same issue as Mark and I tried your fix.
After restarting I still have the lock screen.
Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks, Steven

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Stevenytigfkyf,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm assuming you have recently installed the Windows 10 Anniversary update.

With this update Microsoft has changed some policies and as a result the registry tweak for lock screen was disabled, plus for Windows 10 Professional users they lost the policy setting in their Group Policy Editor which allowed them to disable the Lock Screen.

For the time being I've not bothered to explore the current set up of policies and the registry to work around the lock screen that appears when you first boot your computer, however there is a way you can disable the lock screen during boot up that will work if your computer hybernates, goes into sleep mode, or you press winkey + L.

This does involve a registry tweak however Microsoft set things up that even if you create this key it will be reset to a value or 1 (i.e. lock screen is ON) each time your system restarts, so rather than edit the Registry directly you will need to create a Task to run on boot up instead.

To do that do the following:
  • Click on your Search box and type Task Scheduler then press Enter key to open
  • Once the Task Scheduler window appears in the right pane (Actions) click on Create Task

Sample image

dls1.png

• This will open a new Create Task window.
  • Select the General tab
  1. In the Name box give your Task a name. Anything will do.
  2. A little further down check the box next to Run with highest privileges
  3. Click the drop arrow next to Configure for and select Windows 10

Sample image

dls2.png

4. Click the Triggers tab
  5. Click the New button

Sample image

dls3.png

A New Trigger window will open.

6. Next to Begin the task click the Drop arrow and select At log on and ensure under Settings that Any user has a checked radio dot.
  7. Click OK

Sample image

dls4.png

This closes the New Trigger window and returns you to previous window. Click the New button again.

8. This time next to Begin the task click the Drop arrow and select On workstation unlock. Make sure under Settings that Any user has a checked radio dot then click OK

Sample image

dls5.png

Next click the Actions tab then click the New button

Sample image

dls6.png

9. In the New Action window that opens, click the drop arrow next to Action and select Start a program

10. In the box beneath Program/script type reg

11. In the box to the right of Add arguments (optional) you need to type or copy & paste the following command:

Code:
add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\SessionData /t REG_DWORD /v AllowLockScreen /d 0 /f

Now click OK

Sample image

dls7.png

• Now click the Conditions tab
  • Remove the check in the box next to Start the task only if the computer is on AC power

Note: This is important if you are using a laptop. For Desktop users this last step is optional.

• When done click OK
Sample image

dls8.png

Click OK on any other open windows

Next time you restart your computer you will still see the lock screen just before logging in, but once logged in the Lock Screen will remain disabled until you fully shut down your computer again.​

Reaction score
Dear Regedit32,
Unfortunately the only time I log onto windows is when I start my computer because I shut down my computer when I am not using it.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Stevenytigfkyf,

If you are using Windows 10 Home you can disable the Lock Screen by simply renaming the SystemApps folder that contains the LockApp executable. Unfortunately, this will not prevent the lock screen you see when you boot your computer to login page as that appears to be incorporated into a Windows Shell file.

I'm still trialling a few ideas to see whether I can find a way around this to stop that lock screen too.

In the meanwhile you can skip that previous post of mine and simply:
  • Open you File Explorer
  • Navigate to C:\Windows\SystemApps
  • Inside the SystemApps folder you will see a folder named Microsoft.LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy
  • Right-click on Microsoft.LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy and select Rename

For the new name simply add an exclamation mark before Microsoft like so:

!Microsoft.LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy

Once you have done this if you press Winkey + L you will see the lock screen does not appear but rather you just end up on the sign in page. This is because Windows cannot locate the LockApp.exe inside your renamed folder :)

Reaction score
Wow Regedit32, what a simple fix!
The Lockscreen is now gone after renaming the Microsoft.LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy folder to !Microsoft.LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy

Thank you very much!
-Steven

Reaction score
Ah renaming the Microsoft.LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy folder only disables the lockscreen when using Winkey+L but does not disable it during startup.
:/

Reaction score
We've modified our registry as per the many suggestions online to disable the Lockscreen which we really want to get rid of.

Initially this modification worked, then W10 did one of it's automatic updates and now the Lockscreen has returned.

When we tried to reset the registry settings to again disable the Lockscreen we were bemused to see our registry telling us it was definitely still disabled - which it clearly isn't.

How do we disable Lockscreen when our registry says it's already disabled yet continues to run and update itself beyond our control?

Right Click on Stat Menu Icon. Click RUN and type in netplwiz click OK another blox will open and you should see a box checked by "Users Must Enter User Name And Password To Use This Computer" you need to uncheck the box. then click OK and then it will open another box prompting you to enter the User Name and Password go ahead and enter it and click OK now DO NOT RESTART But do a Complete shut Down by click SHUT DOWN DO NOT CLICK RESTART it has to be the Shut Down...
that is what worked for me.... I watched videos and read sites telling us to RESTART but then it would not work I just accidently found a site with a video and it said just what I am telling here about not restarting but shutting down the computer ... IT REALLY DID WORK FOR ME .. hope it helps you and others

Ask a Question