System file says needs Defrag

Reaction score
I have Windows 10 Version 1709, OS Build 16299.431. I have my laptop set to defrag weekly. All drives get defragged except for the System drive which is marked 17% fragmented and needing defrag.
I sign in as Administrator and choose to defrag the System drive - to no effect. I don't get any message which explains the problem. I notice that the system has seemed to slow. What am I doing wrong? What can I do to resolve the problem?

Thank you.
Mary

Reaction score
Hi Mary,

try running CDSK first in case you might have a problem and then try again, open explorer and right click C drive > Properties > Tools > Check and follow any instructions showing:

upload_2018-5-11_6-29-31.png

You can also click on Optimise afterwards!!. :)

Reaction score
What drives do you have, in or external? By system drive you mean the one with Windows 10 installed?
Presumably you have a standard hd and not an ssd?

Reaction score
Hi Mary,

try running CDSK first in case you might have a problem and then try again, open explorer and right click C drive > Properties > Tools > Check and follow any instructions showing:

View attachment 8563

Hi Mary,

View attachment 8563

I did the checkdisk and the optimize, but it doesn't optimize even though I click it. It still says the system drive needs to be optimized (17% fragmented) but it doesn't let me do it.

Reaction score
What drives do you have, in or external? By system drive you mean the one with Windows 10 installed?
Presumably you have a standard hd and not an ssd?
I have an internal C Drive (of which the System is a part). That's it. It's a standard hard drive, not solid state. It just won't let me optimize the System segment even though it tells me I need to do it.

Reaction score
ok. I must have a different config!
Only "system" referred to on my computer(s) is as under.

Capture.PNG

Ask a Question