Long delay during startup followed by error 0cxC004F074

Reaction score
On one of my PCs, the startup phase of W10 is irrationally slow in comparison to other devices since I had a 30-day test version of Office 2017 installed. The event manager repeatedly yields an error 0xC004F074 with the text, "The rules engine reported a failed VL activation attempt. " which I suspect to be the culprit. The trouble is: I don't have a VL activation, I have a regular W10 Home activation with a digital licence, preinstalled by my seller, and this activation is fully operable and active.

Further details:
Ursache: 0xC004F074
AppId = 0ff1ce15-a989-479d-af46-f275c6370663, SkuId = 6bf301c1-b94a-43e9-ba31-d494598c47fb
Trigger=NetworkAvailable

SFC /Scannow has not helped. Deinstalling Office 2017 has not helped, either.

How do I get rid of this curious error message and the related delays?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi,

That error code would normally be indicating an Activation issue [ usually for the Windows OS itself ], but it may be something to do with your Office install too.

The solution is fairly straight forward:
  • Type command prompt into the Cortana search box
  • From the search results, right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
  • When the User Account Control prompts you, click yes
  • At the command prompt, type the following command, then press enter key to execute:

slmgr /ipk xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Note:
    The xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx is your product key for Windows, or Office, if you believe its Office causing your problem

The error can occur for a number of reasons, such as having a Work computer that is disconnected from the work server, thus Windows cannot confirm the product key is activated [ i.e. a volume licence cannot be detected ], or perhaps you simply have not got around to activating it and just need to do that.

Just be aware that after entering the command above, Microsoft servers need to validate the product key you enter, so keep your router turned on when executing the command.

Reaction score
The trouble is that my Windows was preinstalled and I think I do not have the product key. At least it is not labelled on the computer the way they used to.

Is there any other way to get rid of this problem?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Windows activation is stored on Microsoft's end. If you reinstall Windows 10, or upgrade it to latest build, etcetera, your Windows OS will automatically be activated.

The error you are seeing is to do with an unlicensed Office install. Most likely, your System is unable to connect to the KMS Host needed to activate a Volume License of Office.

This could also be happening because of entering the incorrect product key on the initial install.

If you are wanting to resolve the error you'll need to go through the process itemized on Microsoft's website for activating your Office install. You cannot keep using a trial version of Office endlessly and expect it to provide full functionality.

See here for how to sort your issue: https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...b2f-9845-5344fedc4380?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Reaction score
Yes, there was this Office 365 test version preinstalled when I bought my computer. I deleted it after the test phase had expired but the delay persists. How would I get rid of these vain attempts to connect to a KMS Host? I have tried the command slmgr /upk , and the result is: "Product key not found".

Regedit32

Reaction score
Well if you uninstalled it then the script it uses to connect to the KMS host ought to have been removed at the same time.

Any chance, you have additional Trial software for Microsoft products installed? For example Visual Studio.

Ask a Question