SOLVED Looks like the 17134 download is active, media creation tool

Reaction score
My laptop is through the download and at 12% of the install. I went off to Microsoft.com, I read through the instructions and then used Windows Update to download. The laptop is an I5, 8GB and an SSD so it is installing quite fast.

For the other machines I'll wait until the 8th.

Reaction score
I did not realize but it is also coming from Windows update.. But I will use the .iso to update my other machines.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep.... Windows update apparently has it also

Capture.PNG

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Holy Hell; the prepare to download and actual download took less the 10 minutes on my 100 meg DL speed which was surprisingly fast for me. For the love of God....the actual install took an hour and a half. Right off the bat I see some lip stick and mascara changes and version/build change to 1803/17134.1

As of right now....everything seems to be working just fine.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Did you do it through Windows Update or did you grab the ISO from the Media Creation Tool and do it that way??
Have you manually checked Windows Update to see if your install gets the bump to 17134.5

Reaction score
Have you manually checked Windows Update to see if your install gets the bump to 17134.5
My system did not get the .5 update yet. Even rechecking shows no other updates but it may come after things calm down. The .5 update did wipe the update history just like the one for 17133 did so maybe they are working on that.

@Trouble, my non-Insider system with 17133.1 is not seeing the new build in Windows Update.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK.... just finished my upgrade to 1803 from 1709 using the ISO downloaded through the Media Creation tool.
The entire upgrade from start to working desktop took 23 minutes, using the ISO.
I tried twice through the Windows Update utility and it failed twice, which was enough to convince me to try something different.

Capture.PNG

No further updates through Windows Update, so....
I'm going to assume that the update (KB4135051) from 17134.1 that bumped that build to 17134.5 was unique to Windows Insiders only.
Maybe in preparation for the switch over to the Redstone 5 for regular rings of the Insider Program.
It had only been previously available to those on Skip Ahead.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
@Trouble, my non-Insider system with 17133.1 is not seeing the new build in Windows Update.
I'm gonna bet that you meant 17134.1
AND yes.... apparently that is the RTM and I'm guessing, just like everyone who has upgraded by whatever means today to that same build, you're not going to see anything other than a virus definition update through Defender.
BUT....
There's always tomorrow, or.....
A week from tomorrow which is actually update Tuesday and the date that it will Roll Out to everyone whether or not you actively seek it out or not. MAY 8th.

Capture1.PNG

Reaction score
I have taken my system out of the Insiders program so perhaps I should try to uninstall the .5 update to see what happens. I suppose I could always go through the clean install situation again.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Right now, for the time being, everyone is the same....
Production machines and Windows Insiders, everyone who has upgraded today should have the same as the insider build 17134.1

EXCEPT: For a few of us who actually got (KB4135051) which bumped our insider machines to 17134.5
Not everyone did, and....
I'm thinking, since the Microsoft Catalog doesn't even have that KB that it was a one off and somehow unique for some insider machines.

As far as a clean install goes....
I'll be doing mine in a couple days, after I see how this behaves as an upgrade.
It's something I always do on my production machine with a new OS.
It's a bit of a pain, but it gets me back to a pristine registry and gives me an opportunity to only reinstall programs I actually need and use, as I need them.

Bif

Reaction score
Just for the helluvit I thought I'd simply run MCT and let it upgrade this time rather than creating an ISO, all was going well then it simply closed and installed/ upgraded nothing. With running updates it spat this error... Feature update to Windows 10, version 1803 - Error 0×80242006.

And oddly, this update is installed under "View installed update history" albeit with a (2) in parentheses.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
I'm going to assume that the update (KB4135051) from 17134.1 that bumped that build to 17134.5 was unique to Windows Insiders only.
You just fixed my Windows Mixed Reality Portal download problem. After uninstalling the .5 update, the software downloaded normally.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hi Bif.
I had one attempt that spit out some error code, which I didn't even take note of, I just clicked the retry button, then....
It went through the whole process, to the need to "Restart" button, so I restarted and it just restarted with no update applied, left me exactly where I was when I started.
That's when I just downloaded the ISO cleaned up all the gigs of stuff that the previous process had downloaded and then just mounted the iso and ran setup.exe to perform the upgrade

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Did you do it through Windows Update or did you grab the ISO from the Media Creation Tool and do it that way??
I did the windows update. I just wanted to see how that went....the install took for ever. I'll grab the ISO and do a clean install later...as I just did one less than 30 days ago.

As stated I'm 17134.1

Bif

Reaction score
Thanks @Trouble ..Just my stubborn nature I guess, but I ran it again and it finished without issue..I love a good mystery.

Reaction score
Got my ISO already done and I am working on my flash drive now. On my other Laptop There is already that feature update available:

2018-04-30_192226.jpg

Currently I am downloading that one. The process started @8:15pm EST. Let's see how long it actually takes to install (it is suppose to go faster, remember??)

Reaction score
After 2 hours it is finally done. One thing I noticed though: I had to reinstall my desktop gadgets again. The new system simply would not load them...

2018-04-30_213222.jpg

and no update to 17134.5 available....

Somehow the MCT would not create a Flash drive. Gonna try it later again, I am not in a hurry.... (I have Rufus too.. ;D )

Ask a Question