"looks like the file has been moved or renamed"

Reaction score
I get this message when I attempt to open some photos stored on accessory hard drives.

My older laptop which has a previous version of Windows (which I think is 8), those same photos appear in the file as icons, and they open right up.

I usually set my "View" to display the photos as extra large thumbnails. On Windows 10, some of the photos in my file folders appear as thumbnails, and they open just fine. Other photos, a considerable number of them, appear only as icons, not thumbnail images, and these photos do not open, instead displaying the message "Looks like this file has been moved or renamed." When I view these same files from the same accessory hard drives on my older laptop (which is literally falling apart), all of them appear as thumbnails, and they open readily.

Reaction score
One thing I'd check is if the USB drive is plugged into a USB 3 port [blue center in the plug/socket] instead of a USB 2 [black center of the plug/socket] port. I have some USB Thumb drives that are particular in which type port they can use.

Reaction score
I would copy the files from your old laptop to a flash drive and then copy them from there to your new one keeping them on the flash drive for now as well.

You could also open them, and save them again to a new location, from the application you used to open them, and then move them to your new computer.

You could also right click on one of the files and look at properties and see where it thinks they should be stored, and what format it's in.

Reaction score
Something I have experienced, when changing ext drives etc, is , (particularly in your case) the peripheral designations get changed. I.E. G, might become H. It should be a problem the OS can easily resolve, but doesn't.

Ask a Question