Lost network computers after connecting via Ethernet

Reaction score
Hi i have two computers running windows 10 and until recently they were both connected via WiFi, but recently after having problems with the WiFi my ISP told me the router should be connected to the master telephone socket.

Until they told me this the router was connected to a phone extension roughly halfway between my two computers, one downstairs and one upstairs. and it has been like that for almost a year with a reasonable speed to both computers, but just recently the WiFi speed has dropped so much it is almost impossible to use it.

So i have moved the router upstairs and connected it to the master phone socket and its so close to my PC i have used a Ethernet wire to connect to the computer and my download speed has doubled to the PC.

But one problem i have now is the other computer is now not visible on the network. so why when they were both connected via WiFi both were visible, but now one is connected via Ethernet and one WiFi they can not see each other.

Also now my router is upstairs the laptop downstairs connected via WiFi is so slow its useless.

Hope someone can advise me what to do i know i can get homeplugs but do they really work

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Also now my router is upstairs the laptop downstairs connected via WiFi is so slow its useless.
It's a laptop, it's portable, bring it upstairs and see if all your problems go away.
IF so, then you can chalk it up to poor signal strength.
IF you have to rely on WiFi then you may want to look into upgrading your existing equipment. A wireless router as well as a USB wireless network adapter both capable of AC (802.11ac) might really help depending on the size of your dwelling and the composition of walls, floors and doors. The overall performance (speed, range, beam forming) of AC compared to even N wireless is generally considered much better, as long as you are using an AC end to end solution (router and network adapter).
As far as
i know i can get homeplugs but do they really work
IF you are talking about adapters that allow you to use your house wiring to carry and adapt to an RJ45 Ethernet connection (or wireless for that matter).....
Some people find them fantastic and it probably depends to some extent how much money you spend and which manufacturer you pick
AND
To some extent the physical wiring of your home.... if the two outlets you are using are on the same side of the breaker box using the same 120 volt and common circuit you're going to experience better performance than if they are separated on opposites sides of the breaker box using separate 120 volt lines and common. At least that has been my experience.

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the advice after reading your comments i don't think the adapters will work for me as i would need one upstairs and one downstairs and they would be on different ring mains

Reaction score
Sam I guess you are in the UK rather than North America? (Ring main is the clue!) I suspect that ethernet over power cable adapters sold in the UK would work if they are on circuits within the same electricity meter if you see what I mean.

Reaction score
Sam I guess you are in the UK rather than North America? (Ring main is the clue!) I suspect that ethernet over power cable adapters sold in the UK would work if they are on circuits within the same electricity meter if you see what I mean.

Hi Tim yes i am in the UK and i see what you mean. After spending some time searching for a fix it seems that the last update for windows 10 somehow removed the ability to see network computers on some networks if connected via Ethernet cable.

So until i fine a fix this is what i have had to do, my router is next to my computer its so close i only need a very short Ethernet cable to connect, but i have disconnected the Ethernet cable and connected via WiFi. and now my network is visible again.

The distance between my computer and router is 6 inches but i have to use WiFi to see my network its the only way until Microsoft get a fix.

Reaction score
Remembering from years ago, there is a theoretical problem with very short Ethernet cables as in under a metre long but I am sure that must be fixed by now as Ethernet has got faster. Do the power-line adapters work if you plug them in on the same floor? Over here it is sometimes necessary to attach a device to the electrical panel to make them work but that is because our supply is actually 240Volts centre split for two 120s. Does not apply in the UK IIRC, you just get one 240v.

If your WiFi router can't manage 2 floors of a conventional UK house you need a new router!

Reaction score
Remembering from years ago, there is a theoretical problem with very short Ethernet cables as in under a metre long but I am sure that must be fixed by now as Ethernet has got faster. Do the power-line adapters work if you plug them in on the same floor? Over here it is sometimes necessary to attach a device to the electrical panel to make them work but that is because our supply is actually 240Volts centre split for two 120s. Does not apply in the UK IIRC, you just get one 240v.

If your WiFi router can't manage 2 floors of a conventional UK house you need a new router!

Hi thanks for the advice the Ethernet cable i was using is 1 meter long it just looped under my desk.

I do not have any power line adapters yet i was wondering if they work before i buy some

I need the WiFi to reach 1 floor down and approx 15 meters and the router is only 6 months old and is a Sky one

Reaction score
I would try powerline kit from a reputable brand . I use Netgear. Buy them from a place with a return policy that works!

Ask a Question