Low disk space issue

Reaction score
Ok i had bought a hp laptop a few years ago and it came with windows 8.1 which was probably the worst of them all and upgraded to windows 10. I have a ton of free space on my laptop probably around over 600 gbs but my recovery drive is almost full. I have looked online and through other forums trying to find an answer and nothing. I cant even make a recovery disc at all and when i try to go into the recovery drive i cant do nothing at all wont let me click nothing. I did call hp and the lady told me you have to send your computer in to them to fix it and said i had a corrupt file on my computer somewhere which is not true since i ran the check for it in the command prompt which i saw on another site. Im sure this is hp's way of getting more money out of you since their newer products dont allow you to do alot of things as you could before. I have read oh just turn off the error message which i wont do because after i get the message i can still use the computer for a few minutes before it crashes what im doing example playing a steam game. I have seen where i can bypass the recovery drive but it was already doing that from the start where alot of files are saved to the recovery drive and not on local drives. Is there any way i can bypass something and make a recovery disc cause im not paying hp hundreds of dollars for something that should be an easy fix.

Reaction score
jrooga85 You mentioned that you are saving files on the recovery partition, that's a No No.
The recovery partition is an OEM partition and is for the sole purpose of resetting your PC to factory condition when you purchased it.
I would strongly suggest that you create a current backup system image in the event of a PCcrash
This may be helpful somewhat?

http://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c01512976

Last edited:
Reaction score
Tongue in Cheek, I would reinstall Windows 10. If you have irretrievable data on your existing installation, then, make a backup of it.

You apparently have no real knowledge of what is on the recovery disk? I suspect it has some material left over from Windows 8, which has no further use.(And s Norton says, you cannot mix the original OEM with ongoing recoveries.)
I would then format your recovery disk and start over, unless you feel that, one day, you may wish to return to Windows 8 with the OEM, but, even there, with the corruption on the disk, I doubt it will be successful.

Reaction score
jrooga85 You mentioned that you are saving files on the recovery partition, that's a No No.
The recovery partition is an OEM partition and is for the sole purpose of resetting your PC to factory condition when you purchased it.
I would strongly suggest that you create a current backup system image in the event of a PCcrash
This may be helpful somewhat?

http://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c01512976
I never once said i wad saving files to the recovery drive i did say i checked to make sure files werent being saved on it.

Reaction score
I never once said i wad saving files to the recovery drive i did say i checked to make sure files werent being saved on it.

"I have seen where i can bypass the recovery drive but it was already doing that from the start where alot of files are saved to the recovery drive and not on local drives"

From the above I assumed files were being saved on the recovery drive. I guess I don't understand why would you need to bypass the RD in the first place.

Would you want to go back to Windows 8?
davehc recommended a reinstall of Windows 10, personally, I would do the same . The Win 8 recovery drive is useless if you don't know what's on it.

Reaction score
HP Recovery Partition is accessed only through the BIOS on startup, F11 key. You can delete the partition, if you never intend to go back to whatever OS was installed by HP. You can leave it alone, it's less than 20GB.

BTW, HP_Recovery partition is not the same as Windows 10 Recovery partition.

Reaction score
We all need to make sure we understand the meaning of specific terms. A picture of Disk Management would help clear up any misunderstanding.

If a Recovery partition was being referenced, the Win 10 upgrade would have created a new one for that install. But I have seen some strange things related to HP systems ...

Reaction score
Ok It allows me to click the drive but nothing is in it except the hp logo and says (recovery partition.. Warning this area of the hard drive contains files used during a windows push button reset and hp image recovery do not delete or alter these files... Any changes to this partition could impact system recovery functionality in the future.) And thats all i see in there i cannot even see any files in it. There is a temp folder under recovery in the drive but its empty. I want to find a way to get around this screen so i can get rid of unwanted files such as possible old windows 8.1 files. I use the laptop for games which are saved in cloud and i dont have other files im worried about saving, in the event i do i will just store them on a flash drive. As for a recovery point i want to make a disc for it instead of having it on my laptop. I want a way around it where i can get into it whether its booting up in safe mode or what ever.

Reaction score
We all need to make sure we understand the meaning of specific terms. A picture of Disk Management would help clear up any misunderstanding.

If a Recovery partition was being referenced, the Win 10 upgrade would have created a new one for that install. But I have seen some strange things related to HP systems ...
I believe you are on to something i just posted again before i saw this and it is a partition and i have just within the last couple of minutes after fooling around with files and searching my pc i found a recovery manager. I do only have a C D and E drive which D is the recovery and it only has 2.14 gbs of space left

Reaction score
HP Recovery Partition is accessed only through the BIOS on startup, F11 key. You can delete the partition, if you never intend to go back to whatever OS was installed by HP. You can leave it alone, it's less than 20GB.

BTW, HP_Recovery partition is not the same as Windows 10 Recovery partition.
Yes its an hp partition and i have tried deleting it and it wont let me. All i have upgraded or updated was windows and never plan on going back

Reaction score
"I have seen where i can bypass the recovery drive but it was already doing that from the start where alot of files are saved to the recovery drive and not on local drives"

From the above I assumed files were being saved on the recovery drive. I guess I don't understand why would you need to bypass the RD in the first place.

Would you want to go back to Windows 8?
davehc recommended a reinstall of Windows 10, personally, I would do the same . The Win 8 recovery drive is useless if you don't know what's on it.
Sorry for not being more clear i saw in a forum where someone had said that its possible save files were being saved to the recovery drive but i checked to make sure it wasnt which is where my wording could have confused anyone but the box was not checked to save files to it they are going to my C drive. And no i would definitely not go back to windows 8 or 8.1

Reaction score
Tongue in Cheek, I would reinstall Windows 10. If you have irretrievable data on your existing installation, then, make a backup of it.

You apparently have no real knowledge of what is on the recovery disk? I suspect it has some material left over from Windows 8, which has no further use.(And s Norton says, you cannot mix the original OEM with ongoing recoveries.)
I would then format your recovery disk and start over, unless you feel that, one day, you may wish to return to Windows 8 with the OEM, but, even there, with the corruption on the disk, I doubt it will be successful.
Sorry im trying to answer everyone in order... Im never going back to windows 8 and the other problem is no im not that smart with computers i would say im in middle school for knowledge of a computer not elementary where i dont know nothing. Now i have some movies and photos on the desktop that would need to be saved but thats about it. If i do format the drive will it only delete the recovery drive or will it delete everything and i have to start from scratch

Reaction score

For some reason this forum wont let me post a pic keeps saying the file is to big and im on a smartphone so im limited right now

Reaction score

Saltgrass H.P. do have some unusual copyright rules. H.P. only allow one copy of the recovery partition. If you create a recovery disk which the OP is attempting to do the partition is then deleted. The OP doesn't mention how big the recovery partition is, if it's not that big (MB not GB) It would be left as is for now. The OP mentioned they have tons of space over 600GB on C: HD

Reaction score
With regard to me earlier post. Take it easy before (if you should) reinstalling or reformatting anything. I was understanding that you were referring to another HD with your recovery material.

Reaction score
I agree with davehc. If its not impacting performance leave as is. I would at least make regular system images of your data on C:\ drive should you feel it's necessary to reformat and perform a clean install.

Reaction score
No its not.
Ok i have answered everyone else so i will ask you now the recovery D drive is a partition. Someone said earlier it was not the same as the windows recovery i assume is that right? I have read every post on here so far and im still at a dead end. So say i do get a recovery disc, how can i delete the partition? Im not going back to windows 8 at all so do i need to uninstal windows 10 and reinstall without some how saving the old windows 8 files or is it just going to be a lost cause since hp has basically put a lock on the D drive.

Reaction score
A third party partitioning boot cd will allow you to delete the recovery partition and then stretch your windows partition. If you are not going back to Windows 8, then technically you don't need the partition or the recovery media. It would probably be in your best interest to use a third party backup software, and backup your Windows 10 to either DVD media or external HDD. Therefor forgetting all about any recovery to Windows 8.

Ohh and to answer your question, HP could never lock a partition where you can't delete it.

Ask a Question