machine erases latest typing

Reaction score
I upgraded to Win10 last month, use Firefox browser and gmail. Often when typing something, the computer will erase the last several letters, usually no more than 7 letters.....nothing obscene that may be recognized and erased. How to keep from erasing?
Thanks...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is the computer in question a laptop?
IF so, can you turn off or disable the trackpad while typing?
Can you provide some detailed specifics as to your computer?
Manufacturer's Name, Model Name, Complete Model Number?

Reaction score
Thanks...I have a Dell Inspiron 3521 laptop, ...I don't know what 'trackpad' is....searching the word showed nothing.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sometimes called a Touchpad, it's the thing below your keyboard that allows you to move the cursor around.
Sometimes they have a mechanical switch / button that allows you to disable them when you are typing, otherwise any brief proximity or contact might be interpreted as a gesture / input command that may auto select an area of typed text and then subsequent keystrokes would delete it.

Reaction score
ok, but I don't want t disable the touchpad while typing. usually there will be a second or two delay before the disappearance.
Could this have something to do with the overtype function?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Could this have something to do with the overtype function?
Possibly but I think it is off by default, you can try tapping the insert key, I believe that is how you toggle it on and off, depending on what application you are using and what version. I think later versions of word handle overtype with a different feature set and I still think it requires some cursor manipulation in order to function.
Does it happen when you try typing in something basic like notepad?
What application(s) are you having this trouble with.

Reaction score
I guess you didn't get my last reply a week ago for some reason, hopefully not my error. The typing erasure still continues. The last few letters or word will disappear while typing in gmail, which I use mostly, but also happened today while typing in a firefox support forum( the reason for that is my computer stopped making any sounds).
Thanks for help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do you have or can you borrow a USB wired keyboard to temporarily test if the problem still persists while avoiding any proximity to the native input hardware?

Ask a Question