Mail app/Chrome keeps opening on its own at random and minimises whatever is on the screen

Reaction score
Sorry about the long post, this issue has been disrupting my work for a few days and i'm desperate for a fix.

This issue started 4 days ago out of the blue. The stock mail app would open itself at random, sometimes at right after start-up sometimes maybe an hour after start-up, like I said totally random. After I close it sometimes it takes some time to pop up again and sometimes it pops back up right away.
I uninstalled the app using win powershell and then chrome started behaving in the same manner. Uninstalled chrome and this "You are trying to open a file of type 'system file' (.dll)" message keeps popping up.
I haven't made any changes to the system before this issue started, it just started totally out of the blue.
I contacted Microsoft helpline 4 different times and 4 different tried 4 different fixes -

1. Created a new user account
  2. Performed something similar to a clean boot to stop chrome from starting up and stuff
  3. Downloaded and installed a Win 10 repair because he suspected the OS is corrupt
  4. Did a full reset
After the reset I straight away uninstalled the mail app and didn't download chrome either. It was okay for a few hours but then the error message started popping up again.

I have run Kaspersky and Malwarebytes. Also a lot of other free malware detectors posted on some forums but none have found out the root of the problem.
Im hoping that I get a definite fix here :/

Reaction score
This has been happening to me as well. On THREE machines! One of them brand new and out of the box. The issue started immediately after setup. I too am desperate! I know this post is over a year old but to the original poster, did you ever find an answer? If so and you see this, please do share! This issue has caused so much stress, I can't even begin to tell you!

Ask a Question