Windows 10 Mail App

Reaction score
I have been using computers back before Windows 3.1 first came out. I know how to go through options and settings to resolve problems. I don't need any help learning the basics. What I am having a problem with is choosing a setting and it does nothing to resolve the problem.

Two issues I have, one is I had sound notifications working in my Windows Mail app in the first few weeks after I bought my Toshiba Satellite laptop last year. I believe that ended because of an auto update by Windows. I have never been able to get it back. No amount of combinations of setting the sound off rebooting, turning it back on, rebooting, results in getting a ping when mail arrives. Checking my system settings for notifications, all on. No sound plays when I get mail.

I am running Windows Home Edition.

Also, I have names in my address book that were auto saved that I am not able to delete no matter how I access my hotmail, in a browser or through the Win 10 Mail app. These unwanted addresses popup while I am typing email recipients based on spelling. So I have to constantly work around them. When I go into my address book to find these names to delete them, they are not listed, but when I type into an email header these names always auto fill. Not in my address book but always autofill.

I have asked on these forums before about these issues and got zero response. What other avenue does a person have to find solutions to such issues?

Thanks for any help or insights you might have.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Clancy.

Re the mail contacts in Windows 10 Mail:
  • Click Start
  • Scroll down to P's section and click to open People app
  • Locate the contact you do not want [ these are alphabetically stored ]
  • Right-click on unwanted contact and select Delete

Re the audio notification for Windows 10 Mail app:
  • Open the Windows 10 Mail app
  • In the left pane at bottom locate and click the Settings cog
  • Now in right pane click Notification
  • This will take you to an independent screen. Place a check in the box next to Play a sound.
Sample images

Untitled.png

I'm assuming
you have right-clicked the Speaker icon in your system tray [bottom right corner of screen] and selected Sounds, the under the Program Events pane scrolled down and left-clicked on New Mail Notification and checked a wave sound byte is selected in the Sounds Combo drop menu below this list.

Sample image

Untitled2.png

Also assuming
your audio volume is loud enough to hear the notification. Like you I do not hear the sound, but usually because I'm too busy to notice it, or my volume was set to low in the first place.

You also ought to click Start > Settings cog to go to Windows Settings app, then here select the System app and now in left pane click Notifications & actions and back in main window confirm Mail is toggled on.

Sample image

Untitled3.png

In addition
you can optionally do the following to ensure new mail from a person on your People (Contacts) triggers an audio alert:

Right-click on empty spot of your Taskbar then select Taskbar settings

Now in bottom of main window that opens ensure the following is toggled on

Untitled4.png

Reaction score
If I understand Clancy's question correctly, the unwanted auto fill names are NOT listed in his address book. I have the same problem...incorrect or incomplete emails automatically showing up when I start to type in a correct one...have to select the correct one (work around it)...wish I could just eliminate the extra ones, but don't see how. P.S. I use windows 10 for everything...my complaint is about windows 10 mail and/or people, altough I also have a gmail account, and I think a hotmail account.

Reaction score
If I understand Clancy's question correctly, the unwanted auto fill names are NOT listed in his address book. I have the same problem...incorrect or incomplete emails automatically showing up when I start to type in a correct one...have to select the correct one (work around it)...wish I could just eliminate the extra ones, but don't see how. P.S. I use windows 10 for everything...my complaint is about windows 10 mail and/or people, altough I also have a gmail account, and I think a hotmail account.

Ask a Question