Mail & Calendar app won't receive emails!?

Reaction score
Hi,

I use the native Windows 10 Mail & Calendar app to sync three email accounts - a Microsoft "@live.com" account, a personal Gmail account, and a GSuite custom domain account. About two weeks ago the app stopped receiving messages from my personal gmail account...
  • The inbox simply says "Nothing has arrived yet" no matter if I manually sync or it auto syncs.
  • I have ensured that the settings are set to auto-download messages from any time - done both manual and automatic (every 15 minutes, etc.) sync
  • The app pulls the appropriate folder list - all of my Gmail folders (labels) show up in a list, but all show as empty even on manual sync
  • I can still send messages from this account and they arrive at the appropriate destination
  • I can search for messages, and when I click "search online", the app will find messages from the gmail server
  • I have removed and reconfigured the account multiple times
  • I ran the Windows 10 store troubleshooter and it fixed a cache problem
  • I have reset the application completely through the application manager and reconfigured all accounts
...issue persists. The other two mail accounts work fine, but the personal Gmail account does not.
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks so much for the help.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Stephen,

Welcome to the Forum.

What settings do you have in Gmail itself?

For example, if you opened a browser and went to Gmail do you have two-step verification? If you do, that might be why the folders are empty when they arrive to your Mail app, as I'm reasonably certain the app cannot perform two-step verification.

Also, on the Gmail end, what about the settings themselves in terms of protocols. Do they match your apps settings.

For example does the app and also Gmail use imap, or pop3 protocols?

Reaction score
Hi Regedit32 - thanks for the reply.

I do not have two-step verification, and all is well on the Gmail end. I also use the Windows 10 mail app on my desktop computer and it works/syncs fine - it is specifically on my laptop where it doesn't work. The server settings in the app on my desktop and laptop are exactly the same (using imap).

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Stephen,

Does the Desktop settings allow for emails to be kept on Server even after downloading, and/or deleting read mail?

I used to have the same problem on my Desktop windows 10 mail app, but it turned out in my case it was the settings on my phone I synced mail to, that was the cause of the problem. In the phones settings there was an option to turn on to allow emails to be synced but also left on the originating server too.

Other than that I cannot think off hand why a laptop with identical settings to your Desktop would not work fine.

One thought though, are both the laptop and Desktop using the same Windows 10 OS build and edition? Likewise, are they both using the same Mail app build?

Reaction score
No - I don't believe there is an issue with the desktop app. I can see all my emails on the server through the gmail web interface and through my android phone. Both my desktop and laptop are using the same version of the Mail app and the most recent Windows 10 Home editions/updates.

This is really stumping (and annoying) me...
Thanks for your suggestions

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hmm this is proving to be a mystery for sure.

You know when you open Windows 10 Mail app, (on your laptop), on the left pane do you see More? If you do and click More does the list of folders there contain any similar named folders that also contains the seemingly missing emails from Gmail?

Reaction score
One thing not mentioned.
after you "Added" the Gmail account to Windows Mail, at the bottom of the final window is a message which goes something like "Let Windows Handle this"

I always agree to this, but it may not be significant in your case.

Reaction score
I registered just to say that I have the same exact issue.
I just updated to Creators Update last week and ever since than the Mail app no longer works properly with Gmail and Yahoo account.

It usually gets stuck in syncing , sometimes it brings 1-2 unread emails and that's it. I think it might be related to running windows de-bloater from here and disabled Windows Defender: https://github.com/W4RH4WK/Debloat-Windows-10

My only option right now is to run a Windows repair on my installation.

Reaction score
Yep well, as it says in the opening sentence in your link "Be prepared, anything may happen.
But, like Regedit, I am puzzled. I have my ISP server Email address, two outlook accounts and aa gmail address on Windows Mai. All are working 100%
In the later editions of Windows Mail, MS have created the "Linked" Option. Is it possible your mail is ending up in that box?

Reaction score
I don't use linked accounts and my ISP emails are working fine. It seems that somehow something is blocking communication between the local machine and the server. I can send emails without a problem.

I am also using nod32 antivirus and I tried disabling it but it didn't change anything.

Reaction score
Blacky:
Yep well, as it says in the opening sentence in your link "Be prepared, anything may happen.

Stephen:
In the later editions of Windows Mail, MS have created the "Linked" Option. Is it possible your mail is ending up in that box

Reaction score
Hi,

When I click on "more" the entire accurate list of my folders (labels) comes up appropriately. However, just like the inbox, when I click on any other folder, it is empty with the "Nothing has arrived yet" message. Also, if I do a search, it immediately comes up with "Didn't find anything", but when I click on the "search online" box, it will find messages and appropriately display them in the reading pane when clicked. As soon as I X-out of the search though, all messages disappear. So... I don't think there is any issue with communicating with the server.

I would probably say that my problem did happen soon after the Creator's update, but couldn't say for sure there is any causal relationship. I definitely have not messed with any settings or ran any scripts though.

This is killing me!!!

Reaction score
After I type something in the search box at the top, it returns no results and a box appears to search online...

Attachments

• SmartSelectImage_2017-08-17-20-05-53.png
    SmartSelectImage_2017-08-17-20-05-53.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 722
Reaction score
...and just spent 45 minutes chatting with Windows support - no help. They sent me instructions on how to actually remove the Mail app and then reinstall it. I did and same issue. Their other advice was a system restore to a previous time, but when I went to try that I found that no restore points have ever been created :)

Reaction score
OK. I don't get that on line box. Something different in my config, I guess. But, I don't think it is relevant to your problem.

Only suggestion I can make is that you remove the Gmail account entirely, Check its properties on line, and then add it back again.

Reaction score
Hi,
Years later, I have the same problem. I have the same issue as above and is only on one email account, which is Google with a custom domain. Apparently adding it as POP/IMAP instead of Google fixes the problem. This "Fix" is the only one that worked from many other I tried including those Stephen said.

Ask a Question