Windows Mail and Calendar App will not run

Reaction score
Hi,
There are two users on my PC and for some strange reason the Mail App has stopped running for one user. It works perfectly for me but not for the other user. It was previously running fine for both. I can't uninstall the app (the uninstall option is greyed out). Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?
Many thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It works perfectly for me but not for the other user
IDK, but.....
This is something that I think Microsoft needs to get a handle on and figure it out pretty quick.
We've seen countless posts regarding very similar if not exactly the same problem, which would seem to be almost obviously, profile corruption, and.....
It seems to be linked (at least anecdotally) to the account that was active (logged on) during a Windows Update, and.....
It doesn't seem to happen to everyone, nor all the time. Just enough to be genuinely aggravating and annoying, because....
There is no easy fix.
You can try uninstalling the most recent update, you can try using a Restore Point to a point in time before the problem first occurred, but.....
Generally, it'll likely require the creation of a new user and then transferring the items from the corrupt profile over to the new user profile, which is a giant pain in the butt.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-corrupted-user-profile#1TC=windows-7
Same steps as described for Windows 7. Requires a third admin user because neither the old nor the new profile can be logged into while the transfer is being performed.

Reaction score
Tried uninstalling the latest update. That fixed some other issues but didn't help the user profile. Looks as if I'll have to create a new user.
Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
I tried to copy over the user profile using the instructions in the link but the paste function doesn't seem to work. I have Administrator permissions but cannot paste the files into the new user folder. Any ideas?
Many thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Any ideas?
No ideas, but....
I must admit to not performing the procedure exactly as described in the Microsoft article.
Typically, I open both containers side by side in details view on my monitor and then I open each container in the old profile ( desktop, documents, download, etc., etc.) select all the contents of the folder and then drag and drop them into the appropriate folder in the new profile (overwrite yes when prompted).
I do not bother with any that begin with NTUSER or a derivative like ntuser. That way, if I get a specific error I can assess it exactly.
You cannot successfully complete the task if either the old or the new profile is active (logged in at the time) it requires a third users and all three users should be members of the local administrators group (not standard users).

Ask a Question