SOLVED Malwarebytes free, is it any good?

Reaction score
Hi chaps & chappettes,

I ask because I decided to try the free version; I notice that it has basically no functions that make it a worthwhile app for my daily use.

Look at the pic below and the top right corner to see what I mean (Real-Time Protection), and yes!, I am a skinflint and won't spend money on software if I can find any freeware!. :)

Is the free version really any good or is it a waste of time?. o_O

malwarebytes.PNG

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It's still worth having, but more for running manual periodic checks. If you're happy with your main anti-virus software, then having the free version of MBAM installed for occasional manual scans is quite handy :).

I've got Kaspersky Internet Security on my machine, and I'm happy that that covers most real-time protection I need - but I do like to have MBAM free installed anyway, in case it's needed.

Reaction score
"Microsoft Malware Tool"
You probably mean the malicious software tool?
You do have it, and you have used it. It comes roughly monthly, through the normal updates. - Have a look at the bottom of your Update History - other Updates. I think you will see the latest copy listed there.
It runs in the background, whilst youy are not working (just the once).

Reaction score
Hi Dave,

how does one invoke it should it be necessary? (Microsofts Malicious Software Tool). :)

Reaction score
Been there , done that:
Normal boot + internet access crawled a number of years ago as I had a Root Kit that any of the "commercial" programs I had could not find ( Defender, Norton or McAfee) - Malware Bytes DID!
Stupid me had previously answered the The "Microsoft email warning" email and granted access
PS.: DO NOT RESPOND AS MS DOES NOT SENT THIS TYPE OF EMAIL EVER !!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, I think I will keep it but if push comes to shove, MRT looks like it could also do the same thing anyway!. :):):)

Ask a Question