McAfee Scam

Reaction score
I believe I got a scam email pertaining to McAfee Billing. I see there were posts about McAfee email scams a couple years back, wondering if there has been any update about this?
It starts out: "We wish to notify you that your antivirus is outdated and will renew with the latest antivirus license. It goes on.... The 3yr renewal would be for $399.99. Yikes! I searched my apps and I do not have McAfee. A more detailed search shows several files that have McAfee name prefix that end with .json. Nothing that executes McAfee. There was nothing in msg to click.
So, big question, is this is as I suspect a scam? I assume I just ignore it. And let other folks (you) know about this. What do i do to prevent further occurrences? And... yes, i checked credit accounts and I see no activity for this. Thankfully!

Reaction score
It is a scam. I get these emails on a daily basis for weeks now. I don't have McAfee, never used it. Fortunately they all go in my spam folder. Same thing with Norton AV.

Reaction score
I've seen seen some brands [including my 2 newest] have been including either McAfee or Norton in their builds but uninstalling the antivirus doesn't get rid of the Web security feature that also is listed in Programs/Apps that can be uninstalled separately. Saw one the other day running TrendMicro that opening a Web site snuck in AVG but it was easily uninstalled, it was a legitimate program so wasn't blocked.

Reaction score
Always getting McAffe "Last Chance for you, buy now", if I followed the link then it would be some unscrupulous party at the other end trying to scam me for money. The simple fact is, mostly they only use your email address that some zinzonk sold on after buying something.

Reaction score
when i get scam i disconnect internet. then clear all history lists in my web browsers.
if your keen to enter the registry and delete all keys you find that refers to McAfee

Ask a Question