Media Creation Tool

Reaction score
As soon as Kaby Lake is released and available I'll be putting together my new build. As usual with a new build I'll be doing a clean install of Windows 10 Pro and I'm curious about the Media Creation Tool. If I use my purchased media (USB stick) I'll have to wade through all of the updates and the Anniversary Upgrade. I wonder if the MCT is updated with updates and upgrades as they're released or if the download is just the basic release the same as what is on my USB stick. Any ideas?

Reaction score
I rather doubt it, you are talking about Microsoft now. Simplify the install and use a good disk image. with the most recent updates. You do have one I hope?

Reaction score
As soon as Kaby Lake is released and available I'll be putting together my new build. As usual with a new build I'll be doing a clean install of Windows 10 Pro and I'm curious about the Media Creation Tool. If I use my purchased media (USB stick) I'll have to wade through all of the updates and the Anniversary Upgrade. I wonder if the MCT is updated with updates and upgrades as they're released or if the download is just the basic release the same as what is on my USB stick. Any ideas?

The ISO does get updated when the major releases come out. One thing about the clean install. If you created the Digital Entitlement on another machine and you upgraded from an OEM version of Win 7 or 8.1 you couls have an issue activating Windows 10 on a new machine (unless your using the same motherboard). Now if you upgraded from the retail version and using your MS account it should activate fine. Liek i said with the OEM upgrade you may need to purchase either the Windows 10 OEM or retail to get WIndows 10 activated on the new machine.

Reaction score
I have a suspicion that the official download is updated with each Cumulative Update.

Reaction score
I rather doubt it, you are talking about Microsoft now. Simplify the install and use a good disk image. with the most recent updates. You do have one I hope?
I do have backups created regularly with Todo backup program but prefer a new, clean HDD and fresh install.

Reaction score
The ISO does get updated when the major releases come out. One thing about the clean install. If you created the Digital Entitlement on another machine and you upgraded from an OEM version of Win 7 or 8.1 you couls have an issue activating Windows 10 on a new machine (unless your using the same motherboard). Now if you upgraded from the retail version and using your MS account it should activate fine. Liek i said with the OEM upgrade you may need to purchase either the Windows 10 OEM or retail to get WIndows 10 activated on the new machine.

I have a retail copy of Windows 10 pro and some time ago I used the MCT to do a fresh install on a new NVME SSD. It activated automatically with the retail key. Good to know the ISO is updated though so I will make a new install stick.

Reaction score
Dipsy You have nothing to loose, keep us updated. Thanks!

It may be awhile depending on the release of Kaby Lake and compatible motherboards but I'll try to remember to let y'all know. I created a USB ISO this morning but may make a new one if there are updates between now and when I need to use it. It would be handy if MS would post the version number on the download page.

Reaction score
I certainly agree with you on MS tagging the ISO with version # I is a pain installing all the updates to current.

Ask a Question