Memory Leak or Faulty Memory Use Reporting? Needing some expert opinions.

Reaction score
Afternoon ladies n' gents, so here's the deal:

Under task manager it reports that my processes are using 48% of my memory.

Now, after taking a moment to fire up the ol' calculator and adding up all the individual reported memory usage for each process, it's almost an even 2 gig of 8 gig of RAM... or 25%.

Where is Windows getting this 48% figure from? It doesn't appear that it's a sum total of the aforementioned processes and under performance it explicitly says 3.8 is being used.

What's going on here? Is there something hidden? Is this faulty reporting? Or am I witnessing a memory leak?

If it's a memory leak, is there a way to identify the culprit and/or resolve it without always having to restart the PC?

Thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Now, after taking a moment to fire up the ol' calculator and adding up all the individual reported memory usage for each process, it's almost an even 2 gig of 8 gig of RAM... or 25%.
Where is Windows getting this 48% figure from?
Not sure, but perhaps if you launch Resource Monitor, it might provide a better sense of all things consuming memory.
What's going on here? Is there something hidden? Is this faulty reporting? Or am I witnessing a memory leak?
Probably just a lot of stuff running in the background.

You might want to try clean booting your system as described here
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
Easily done, easily undone.

Basically you're just disabling all the Startup Items and All non-Microsoft services.
Be sure to check the box to hide Microsoft Services, as you don't want to accidentally disable any of those.

Reaction score
@Trouble - Resource Monitor isn't demystifying anything. Getting the same disparity. Neither the committed memory or the working set when added up equal the % the system alleges is being used. I'll look into clean booting the system.

Reaction score
@Trouble - Resource Monitor isn't demystifying anything. Getting the same disparity. Neither the committed memory or the working set when added up equal the % the system alleges is being used. I'll look into clean booting the system.
I see your post was made last May and I'm having the same problem, did you find a fix for it???? If you did, please enlighten me as I'm really running out of troubleshooting ideas and sick and tired of rebooting all the time

Ask a Question