SOLVED Message about USB device

Reaction score
Four days ago, this message began appearing on my desktop. Nothing seemed amiss and I ignored it. Then yesterday after the message appeared my cursor was gone. If I unplugged the mouse USB and plugged it in again, the cursor returned, Before long it all happened again, totaling about nine times. This morning the message has come up 5 times, but only twice removed my cursor. Is there a solution?
upload_2016-3-19_9-19-22.png

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Are you using the same USB port on your computer to connect multiple devices alternating between them or multiple devices by way of a USB Hub connected to a single USB port on your computer.
The only time I have ever seen that message is when I've connected problem devices....
Like a bad USB hard drive or thumb drive, so you might consider that something you are connecting to the computer has a problem. It could be a physical mechanical problem or it might just be a bad USB cable or end connector.

Reaction score
Are you using the same USB port on your computer to connect multiple devices alternating between them or multiple devices by way of a USB Hub connected to a single USB port on your computer.
The only time I have ever seen that message is when I've connected problem devices....
Like a bad USB hard drive or thumb drive, so you might consider that something you are connecting to the computer has a problem. It could be a physical mechanical problem or it might just be a bad USB cable or end connector.

Was using same USB slot up until this began happening, then after a few times I began changing the mouse cable with the keyboard cable, thinking that might stop it, but it's still happening more and more often. Could it be the mouse connection?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Could it be the mouse connection?
Sure it could. The cable and or end connector / connection at either end can be stressed or crushed or otherwise damaged.
Maybe borrow or just buy another inexpensive USB mouse and see if the problem goes away.

Reaction score
Sure it could. The cable and or end connector / connection at either end can be stressed or crushed or otherwise damaged.
Maybe borrow or just buy another inexpensive USB mouse and see if the problem goes away.
Thanks Solution, I'll do that. :)

Reaction score
Thanks Solution, I'll do that. :)
Bought a new mouse which seems to have solved the problem... however, the old mouse is reasonable new. I'm thinking the warning about not recognizing the USB device is just one more problem with Windows 10. :)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm thinking the warning about not recognizing the USB device is just one more problem with Windows 10
That's certainly a possibility.
Give it some time, see if the error message returns.
Is there anything unique about the particular mouse you were using. Does it require a driver in order to function properly or is it just another generic mouse?

Reaction score
That's certainly a possibility.
Give it some time, see if the error message returns.
Is there anything unique about the particular mouse you were using. Does it require a driver in order to function properly or is it just another generic mouse?
It was just another generic mouse. Not expensive. Usually they last about a year.

Ask a Question