Message from Microsoft that my Windows 10 Subscription is Expiring?

Reaction score
This weekend I started getting desktop messages on my Personal Home PC stating that my subscription for Windows 10 will Expire on May 7, 2016? When I click on the link it takes me to a Settings page that refers to Windows 10 Enterprise? It tells me to contact my Administrator for a new Product Key?
I downloaded this copy of Windows 10 from the Icon at the bottom of my Windows 7 Desktop. I has been my understanding, from everything I have read, that it was "Free" for personal PC owners who were running Windows 7 or 8. I was running Windows 7, at home?
How do I address this issue?

Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Connie.

It appears to be a scam notice. Your windows 10 license is good for the life of the computer you have it on. There will never be subscription fees.

It is possible that you have received a notice for a paid anti-virus program, but I doubt it.

To be sure, are you on a work computer for a company with a group license purchase plan? In that case, you need to inform your manager.

I advise you to run your anti-virus program immediately, since you clicked on the link, and ignore all future such notices.

Reaction score
Connie do a Winver and tell us the numbers you get from that. It is possible but unlikely that you are running an early Insider version which would expire.

But I agree that it is 99% likely to be a scam.

Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Connie.

It appears to be a scam notice. Your windows 10 license is good for the life of the computer you have it on. There will never be subscription fees.

It is possible that you have received a notice for a paid anti-virus program, but I doubt it.

To be sure, are you on a work computer for a company with a group license purchase plan? In that case, you need to inform your manager.

I advise you to run your anti-virus program immediately, since you clicked on the link, and ignore all future such notices.
Thanks for the help. I will follow your recommendations.

Reaction score
I know that an update from MS last month turned my Win 10 Pro into an insider edition without my wanting it to. I had to revert back to my regular Win 10 Pro that same day. Maybe an update did the same to the OP?

Ask a Question