SOLVED Message that appears on Startup

Reaction score
I have been having problems since I downloaded the Anniversary Update. Some I have been able to solve but this one is a puzzle. When I start up Windows 10 this message appears on the desktop. I have no Idea what I am supposed to do to correct it. I do have a working Outlook account and I did not download Microsoft Office originally and so I have no idea what to do.

In case the clip doesn’t show what it says is:

Missing Requirements

X This program requires Microsoft Outlook 2003 or higher,

Please install Microsoft Office and try again.

Attachments

• Startup error message .jpg
    Startup error message .jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 549

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try using the "Startup" tab in Task Manager to see if you can spot anything in the list that might provide a clue as to what is wanting to use "Outlook" when your machine starts.
Right click any empty space on the taskbar or the Windows Logo / Start Button and choose Task Manager from the context menu.

Reaction score
Hi Trouble- I did as you suggested; I went to the Task Manager - Startup and I did not see anything that might have been the problem. But I wasn't sure what I was looking for. Should I 'enable' all the processes that are now disabled; and then, one by one disable them again to see if it causes the problem?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Should I 'enable' all the processes that are now disabled;
Nope..... I would think that that would be counter-intuitive.
Maybe, note which ones are currently "disabled"
Then "disable" the rest either one at a time or all at once.
Personally, I'd go with "disable" them all and sort them out later

Reaction score
Hi Trouble - I did as you suggested in the messages above (sorry it took so long to get back to you, but sometimes life gets in the way of the computer troubles) and I disabled all the enabled processes in the list, and lo and behold the cursed error message no longer appears when I Start-Up windows 10. Thank you so much, I really appreciate your time and effort in helping solve this problem.

Reaction score
However, something else may not work when you try it...with a bit of luck it will be something you don't use and will never see!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I disabled all the enabled processes in the list, and lo and behold the cursed error message no longer appears when I Start-Up windows 10. Thank you so much, I really appreciate your time and effort in helping solve this problem.
Glad that it worked for you and thanks for the follow-up information.
Personally, I'd go with "disable" them all and sort them out later
The object was to stop the message and then sort out what was causing it (if it wasn't obvious), by re-enabling them one at a time and rebooting between each change to test the impact.

Reaction score
Hi; I'm back with more information about my error message. I followed the additional advice about my error problem, and one by one re-enabled the processes I had disabled. I found the one that caused the error message on Start-Up and I really don’t know what it does. I don't think I downloaded this Process, but then again maybe I did. Should I leave the processes as they are now after I disabled the cause or should I uninstall the program? I don’t know what it does and don’t know when it was installed on my Computer.
Just in case the clip below doesn't show the process that caused the problem is:
Outlook on the Desktop SMR Computer Services Disabled "(this was enabled before)" None

This is the one that caused the message on the desktop

upload_2016-10-12_16-27-51.png

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I really don’t know what it does. I don't think I downloaded this Process, but then again maybe I did. Should I leave the processes as they are now after I disabled the cause or should I uninstall the program? I don’t know what it does and don’t know when it was installed on my Computer.
IF you didn't download it, nor install it and you don't know what it does, then personally I would uninstall it.
Especially since
I do have a working Outlook account and I did not download Microsoft Office originally and so I have no idea what to do.
It hardly seems like something worthwhile to keep on your computer.

Reaction score
Hi Trouble, I uninstalled the 'Outlook on the Desktop' program so hopefully that desktop error window problem I was having is gone forever. Thanks for all your help.

Ask a Question