Microsoft Dumping Internet Explorer

Reaction score
Microsoft has announced that users have just five weeks to upgrade before security patches for Internet Explorer dries up.
After January 12 there will be no more patches to protect against drive-by downloads and other browser vulnerabilities.

This will leave millions vulnerable considering that every month Internet Explorer is the target of hackers. As many as 124 million users are running IE 10 or earlier. Most users are still running IE9, indicating the systems are running Win7.

Microsoft told users in mid-2014 that IE 11 will be the final version. In that Internet Explorer was the target of many hacks, Microsoft called it quits and introduced Microsoft Edge in Win10. Microsoft has said the browser is safer as it prevents adware and toolbars from hijacking dynamic link libraries.

Source

ie1.png

Now if they can dump Edge everyone would be happy.

Bif

Reaction score
Interesting..
I'm with ya on the Edge..been a Firefox dévotes from day one.

Reaction score
Thats o/k but i do need to use IE as i have a program that needs to use active x to run which Edge doesn't have. :(
Ohh well i am still running IE8 on one of my XP PCs :)

Reaction score
Microsoft has announced that users have just five weeks to upgrade before security patches for Internet Explorer dries up.
After January 12 there will be no more patches to protect against drive-by downloads and other browser vulnerabilities.

Source

.View attachment 1724

Now if they can dump Edge everyone would be happy.

Before alarm spreads, this is what MS actually said
"After January 12, 2016, only the most recent version of Internet Explorer available for a supported operating system will receive technical support and security updates. For example, customers using Internet Explorer 8, Internet Explorer 9, or Internet Explorer 10 on Windows 7 SP1 should migrate to Internet Explorer 11 to continue receiving security updates and technical support. For more details regarding support timelines on Windows and Windows Embedded"

and this is the original source:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2014/08/07/stay-up-to-date-with-internet-explorer.aspx

Reaction score
That just redirects and opens my link in IE

That is correct and you can use that extension to access the site you need Active X for and then you will be able to browse safely using Fx for all other sites.

Reaction score
Before alarm spreads, this is what MS actually said
"After January 12, 2016, only the most recent version of Internet Explorer available for a supported operating system will receive technical support and security updates. For example, customers using Internet Explorer 8, Internet Explorer 9, or Internet Explorer 10 on Windows 7 SP1 should migrate to Internet Explorer 11 to continue receiving security updates and technical support. For more details regarding support timelines on Windows and Windows Embedded"

and this is the original source:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2014/08/07/stay-up-to-date-with-internet-explorer.aspx

If you read the source of my post it says the same thing. Links--Links

Reaction score
If you read the source of my post it says the same thing. Links--Links

The article certainly does not. It gives a distinct impression that IE is being retired- unless, of course, you click the further link in the article, which takes you to the original ,which I posted.

Reaction score
The article certainly does not. It gives a distinct impression that IE is being retired- unless, of course, you click the further link in the article, which takes you to the original ,which I posted.

That is why I posted LINKS-LINKS-LINKS . IMHO it should be retired and replaced with EDGE. To me this is one nasty way of forcing users to upgrade to Windows 10. If Edge is so great make it available for all.

Reaction score
That is why I posted LINKS-LINKS-LINKS . IMHO it should be retired and replaced with EDGE. To me this is one nasty way of forcing users to upgrade to Windows 10. If Edge is so great make it available for all.
There is obviously a method in their madness.o_O
And those that have not taken up the free upgrade offer after the year is up will be kicking themselves.;)

Reaction score
There is obviously a method in their madness.o_O
And those that have not taken up the free upgrade offer after the year is up will be kicking themselves.;)
Maybe maybe not. Contrary to what MS thinks there is NOT a one size fits all OS.

Bif

Reaction score
MS's convoluted logic again never ceases to amaze and confuse.IE has never effected me as I never used it.

Reaction score
"After January 12, 2016, only the most recent version of Internet Explorer available for a supported operating system will receive technical support and security updates. For example, customers using Internet Explorer 8, Internet Explorer 9, or Internet Explorer 10 on Windows 7 SP1 should migrate to Internet Explorer 11 to continue receiving security updates"
so no there not dumping it totally

Ask a Question