Microsoft Edge not visible on Program list, dropdown app list, taskbar

Reaction score
I have been using Microsoft Edge as the default browser. A few days ago, it disappeared from the taskbar, dropdown app list and Program list (Control Panel). It does appear on the Default Program list (Control Panel) and still loads when I link from email. When it is active, it does not appear as highlighted on the taskbar (it is not there at all). The only way I can bring it up on the monitor is to click on a link from email. I am using it as it write this.

So far, I have tried restarting the computer, resetting to an earlier time, typing the following Command prompt (Admin):

Right-click the start button, select "Command prompt (Admin)" and type powershell. Then type:

Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted
And then

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

None of the above worked.

At the same time as Edge disappeared, there were other programs removed from the taskbar including Webroot, the antirvirus program that I use. However, Webroot is still available on the dropdown app list. A simple app like calculator does not appear on the dropdown list and there might be more apps that are missing but I haven't discovered them yet. Also, the very convenient app tiles that used to appear to the right of the dropdown app list are gone.

My question is: Where do I find Microsoft Edge on the computer, other than on the installed program list in control panel, so that I can replace it on the dropdown app list and add it to the taskbar? Also, can I somehow put the app tiles back the way they were when I bought the computer with Windows 10 on it?

Thanks for any help. This has been extremely frustrating for the past few days.

Regedit32

Reaction score
C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe

Right-click and pin to Start or Taskbar, or both.

Reaction score
C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe

Right-click and pin to Start or Taskbar, or both.

I have been able to pin to Start and Taskbar but when I click on it, nothing happens. Do you think my computer is deteriorating? It's only a bit over a year old.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I don't think the computer per se is deteriorating, but your User Profile may possibly be corrupted.

The only way of testing that would be to create a New User, and if that works OK, then copy data from the old profile to the new one, then remove the older profile.

I was thinking about your PowerShell attempt the other day and it occurred to me that possibly Edge was still running in the background, or that the Users appdata folder still contained Edge which may have prevented a successful reinstall of Microsoft Edge.

What you could attempt would be to delete this folder, noting that doing this would cost you your favorites and extensions if you have any saved, then run a PowerShell command to reinstall Microsoft Edge.

If you want to try that here's a step by step of what to do:
  1. Right-click on Taskbar and select Task Manager. Using this verify all instances of MicrosoftEdge.exe or MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe are end tasked, then close the Task Manager window.
  2. Left-click on Start then right-click on the Microsoft Edge you pinned there and unpin it. Likewise, unpin the Edge you added to your Taskbar.
  3. Now open your File Explorer and in its address bar type or copy & paste the following:

Code:
    %localappdata%\Packages

Press Enter key to execute.

Now in the Packages folder scroll down and right-click on Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe and select Delete. You may be prompted to confirm deletion a few times. Make sure you have Administrator privileges as you do this. Remember doing this will remove your Favorites and Extensions.

4. Close File Explorer when done.
  5. Press Windows key and S key to give focus to the Search box
  6. In the Search box type PowerShell then when it appears in search list right-click on it and select Run as administrator.
  7. In the PowerShell window type or copy & paste the following command:

Code:
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml” -Verbose}

When done close PowerShell and Restart your computer.

All going well this will get you Microsoft Edge back minus any Favorites or Extensions you once had in that browser. When you first open it you'll be greeted with that Welcome lets get started page too, so you'll need to set things up again as you like them.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
I don't think the computer per se is deteriorating, but your User Profile may possibly be corrupted.

The only way of testing that would be to create a New User, and if that works OK, then copy data from the old profile to the new one, then remove the older profile.

I was thinking about your PowerShell attempt the other day and it occurred to me that possibly Edge was still running in the background, or that the Users appdata folder still contained Edge which may have prevented a successful reinstall of Microsoft Edge.

What you could attempt would be to delete this folder, noting that doing this would cost you your favorites and extensions if you have any saved, then run a PowerShell command to reinstall Microsoft Edge.

1. Right-click on Taskbar and select Task Manager. Using this verify all instances of MicrosoftEdge.exe or MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe are end tasked, then close the Task Manager window.
  2. Left-click on Start then right-click on the Microsoft Edge you pinned there and unpin it. Likewise, unpin the Edge you added to your Taskbar.
  3. Now open your File Explorer and in its address bar type or copy & paste the following:

Code:
    %localappdata%\Packages

Now in the Packages folder scroll down and right-click on Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe and select Delete. You may be prompted to confirm deletion a few times. Make sure you have Administrator privileges as you do this. Remember doing this will remove your Favorites and Extensions.

6. In the Search box type PowerShell then when it appears in search list right-click on it and select Run as administrator.

Code:
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml” -Verbose}

All going well this will get you Microsoft Edge back minus any Favorites or Extensions you once had in that browser. When you first open it you'll be greeted with that Welcome lets get started page too, so you'll need to set things up again as you like them.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score

Code:
    %localappdata%\Packages

Code:

Regards,

Regedit32
Thanks Regedit32 - I am trying to perform the steps you have recommended but am unable to delete MicrosoftEdge in the Packages folder because it is telling me that I require permission from DESKTOP-numbers\Owner to make changes but I don't know how to get there. Everything is so complicated! I am fairly computer literate but this is way beyond me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Regedit32 - I am trying to perform the steps you have recommended but am unable to delete MicrosoftEdge in the Packages folder because it is telling me that I require permission from DESKTOP-numbers\Owner to make changes but I don't know how to get there. Everything is so complicated! I am fairly computer literate but this is way beyond me.
I found the following link regarding Administrator permission. Is it the best way to get around this problem?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753659.aspx
or the way many might prefer
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...ership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

Regedit32

Reaction score
Yes that TechNet link describes how to take ownership via the Permissions of the folder.

That would work.

Ask a Question