Microsoft Home Office Update

Reaction score
Purchased Microsoft Home Office / Student Version on 11/29 from Staples in The Villages Florida. Came as a product key card that needed connection to Microsoft for download. My Windows 10 O/S and Apps are updated on a fairly often schedule; approx every six months manually and also with auto-update. I only connect to internet when I NEED to be there. I don't leave the connection open. I Downloaded app but got error code 30180-4 along with 1-800-460-1391.
Called number and got a person with heavy ?Asian Indian? accent that wanted access to my computer to solve problem. I refused and asked what he wanted to do. He pulled up a file with his supposed credentials, picture, Indian name (not the pseudo-name he was using such as Bill). He kept trying to convince me that he was Microsoft certified. He tried several times with different keys to register software. Nothing worked. He said he needed access to solve. I dialed the number on the registration key card so I knew it was (probably) a legitimate Microsoft destination. I let him take over machine and watched the screens where he was going. He told me my software had not been updated in 8 years and that I had a Zeus Malware reference that he showed me in some code he found.
He said his service was free but any updates he put on were not. I said if he was expecting me to pay for anything, that I would discontinue the call. He tried his best to convince me that I needed this help. He supposedly brought on his manager he tried a hard sales pitch. He brought on another support person who tried to convince me he was more experienced that the first guy. Then they brought on a fourth guy trying the same thing. I pulled the connection. They called me back several times to convince me that they need to be in my PC.
Once out of this support fiasco, I checked my updates and only the very latest was not installed. They had scanned the prefetch and some other files. I checked the Zeus Malware reference and find that by itself doesn't mean there is a malware causing ME problems. They may have put it there as a bargaining chip to make me move on the purchasable updates.
I went to staples and logged my issue with them and they gave me credit for the registration Key purchase.
I have no idea if any of this is meant to defraud but I offer it as a heads-up. I used to do this kind of support so something out of the expected is probably fraudulent.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Staples is generally regarded as a very reputable resource for any number of office or home office needs and I don't suspect that there is a problem with your purchase of the product key from them.
The problem probably lies more in your choice of download sources.
Perhaps this might be a more reliable avenue

Although I would have thought that your purchase would have some indication as to a resource URL for the download located / printed on it somewhere.

Reaction score
I have no issues with Staples and I used the Microsoft Office link on the registration key card so I see nothing wrong there. I called the 800 number printed on the card so I assume nothing questionable there. I believe it is very possible to have incentive driven tech support people working on their own to create some sort of scheme. I don’t know if Microsoft gets any of this feedback but I think I will go with the open source version of this product

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I believe it is very possible to have incentive driven tech support people
You're probably right although in my experience with Microsoft I haven't had any up-selling to deal with.
They usually make it plain what if anything is free and what is not and then provide some figures as to per-incident costs.

Anyway.... appreciate the heads-up and your sharing your experience.
I think I will go with the open source version of this product
I've often found Libre Office a satisfactory substitute

Reaction score
Anything purchased would need to be registered in the system. It is not as simple as just planting fake merchandise. The only way this would be possible. Is for someone on the inside to register the fake merchandise in the system for purchase. That is a huge risk basically saying here I am. I'm not saying people are not this stupid, but it is highly unlikely.

Reaction score
Any thing is always possible but...It is not likely that this was done on our end. Anything can be faked. I really believe that the support people hired to man the end of where ever that 800 number goes is playing games with legitimate customer calls. I have no idea how to warn Microsoft and how Microsoft could search back to the support source and catch this going on.
Years ago I used to support and train on call center agent software and it would do a good job of weeding out the culprits. I have seen a lot of agent nasty games and this could easily be one of them perpetuated and contained between a few agents. Anyone wanting to test this can call the 1-800-460-1391 and cite error code 30180-4. they gave me a 3BBQB WKXFQ 4DFVY 3FCXS 5RPVE that they said was registered and still couldn't activate my software. Who ever issued this registration code would be a good person to question. The agent calling back a customer a few times within a few minutes can be an indication of either a diligent agent or someone trying to convince the customer to go with the flow.
The updates they claim I needed were already done months ago and as I write this, am doing my periodic update which includes look back.
The risks of support scams from foreign countries taints the good people too.

Ask a Question