Microsoft tried to upgrade to Win 10 without my permission

Reaction score
Have Win10 running on a new build with few issues. On another computer (Win 7) I have the upgrade window in the tray and I never said yes to Windows 10. I noticed that Windows update had a download for me ( Win 7) so I opened it. There was Windows 10 waiting to download. But it needed administrative permission to download and install. I noticed a blue bar and I clicked on it to see what was in it. There were a list of files including security files. I checked those and only those. I DID NOT check the file related to IE 11. I did not give it administrative permission to download or install.

Later that day a third party security app needed to update and then asked to reboot. I felt secure and rebooted the computer. The downloads in Windows were very slow. I went about my business and returned just to see Accept or Decline. I quickly declined and Windows quickly removed two files ( updates). I stopped it in it's tracks. After another reboot I checked Windows update and found that the two filed were clearly labeled Windows 10. They are waiting!!!!!!

Reaction score
I have an answer for you but I don't think you will like it one bit.

Since you already have set the wheel in motion, you can't stop it now.
Windows 10 is on queue.
Let Windows Update do the download and install of Windows 10.
When installation is completed, left click at the Start button > left side, click Settings > click Update and Security > left side, click Recovery > right side, under Go Back to Windows 7, click the Get Started button.
The system will begin reinstalling windows 7.
When Windows 7 is back, do the followings right away.............
1. Go to Windows Update and set it to manual.
When new updates show up, look over the list. If you see KB3035583, right click at it > click Hide. That update is the one responsible to put a Get Windows 10 icon on your system tray. Without the KB3035583, there will be no more Windows 10 download offered to you.
Make sure that each time new updates are available, look over the list before you install them.

2. Assuming that your Win 7 does not come with an installation disk, create a set of Recovery disks. They will be your life-saver. You can use the set, together with the product key, to reinstall Windows 7 whenever you need to.

Last edited:

Ask a Question