Can't remove Microsoft Bluetooth drivers, tried everything I know.

Reaction score
Exactly as the title says, I'm having quite a bit of trouble removing the generic bluetooth drivers that Windows installs for you. Those have to be gone if I want to install Toshiba Bluetooth Stacks, which I need in order to use my Wii U Pro Controller in my computer. I've gone through a few methods to try this out and all have failed.

I started out by simply uninstalling the drivers on the device manager (or whatever it is called in English). Didn't work, as the drivers were back when I had to plug in my dongle to complete the installation for TBS. When I tried this in Windows 7, it worked flawlessly, yet in Windows 10 this method did not work. Afterwards, I tried deactivating the forced driver signature, as well as make it so Windows Update doesn't automatically download any drivers it finds suitable. On top of this, I traveled into the INF folder of my Windows folder to do steps that Microsoft recommended: rename bth.inf to bth.inf.old and bth.pnf to bth.pnf.old. With all this, it should in theory work right? Nope, it didn't. Not even after a reset.

My last attempt involved unplugging my PC from the Internet as a first step, followed by everything else listed above and then a reset. The drivers were still back, bth.inf and bth.pnf somehow magically appearing in my Windows folder when I have no Internet access. I'm at a loss as to what I'm supposed to do. Anyone care to help?

Ask a Question