SOLVED Microsoft warning

Reaction score
I recently received a warning from Microsoft telling me that my computer with trash and locked up if I did not call a specific 800 number immediately. A recording came on and would not turn off. I believe this was an attempt to hack my computer and unfortunately I called the number and allow them to it go on to my computer remotely. I was told I had a lot of issues that need to be fixed snd to call one of the three different numbers including Netgear, Ciso or a Geek number to do the repairs. I did not call the numbers but instead closed out all programs and shut off my computer. My computer appears to be operating as well as ever. Do I need to be worried.

Reaction score
Just don't do it again! Pay attention to scam messages,emails and phone calls that is.

You might want to download Malwarebytes free edition and run that every week or so.

Bif

Reaction score
Had an acquaintance do the same thing, he ended up with two Keyloggers and a nasty Trojan that was virtually impossible to remove.
The two Keyloggers were detected by Malwarebytes but not the Trojan, I used Trend Micro Housecall and ESET Nod32 online scanner to get rid of it..but I'm suspect that it got all of it.
As @Tim Locke stated and I reiterate.. NEVER do this again as it takes just seconds for the bad guys to install a host of bad things on the PC ..next time a reinstall may be in order.

Reaction score
I wouldn't waste any time, run CCleaner and Malwarebytes ASAP.
It wouldn't hurt to run Adware from Malwarebytes. Free download from Malwarebytes.

Reaction score
I just ran malwarebytes. It shows 83 identified items. Should I quarantine all of them. I don't know one from the other or what they are for. The types are: folder, registry V., and file. The two Registry V. location are HKLM\SOFTWARE \MICROSOFT\WIND and HKLM\SOFTWARE \WOW6432NODE\ that's all I could read on location.

Reaction score
Malwarebytes identified 83
affraid.gif
Quarantine them all and run the program a second time.

Reaction score
Nobody
I just ran malwarebytes. It shows 83 identified items. Should I quarantine all of them. I don't know one from the other or what they are for. The types are: folder, registry V., and file. The two Registry V. location are HKLM\SOFTWARE \MICROSOFT\WIND and HKLM\SOFTWARE \WOW6432NODE\ that's all I could read on location.

As said, quarantine them all. For the future: Never ever let somebody remotely access your computer. This may sound paranoid but nobody you dont even know cant have access to your PC. As you have seen, they are never friendly and you get stuff that you really do not want to have on your PC, EVER.
Heck, I will not even let Microsoft on my computer, even if I initiate the call. If they want to do something on my computer, they can come to my house and do it but only if I am present......

Reaction score
That is a lot. Most of them are probably harmless " Potentially Unwanted Programs". Reboot before another Malware run. I agree about running Adware.

Reaction score
Second Malwarebytes scan completed with no additional threats. Thanks for all your help I think I learned a big lesson. Also someone advised to run adware what is do I really need it and if so where can I get it.

Ask a Question