Missing brightness slider bar

Reaction score
Thanks in advance! I have NO brightness slider bar! My screen is blindingly bright and I have the monitor brightness turned all the way down!
1.png

I have looked in control panel and there is nothing there. Just a big glaringly bright white space as you can see above.

All graphics and monitor drivers are up to date. Please help! Remember, this is not a laptop, so I don't have any shortcut keys.

Edit: There is no slider bar in display setting/advanced display setting either. It's just not there.
There is also no icon for brightness in the action centre tab.

Specs:
i7-6700K @ 4GHZ
32Gb DDR4
Asus Z170-K Motherboard
Nvidia 970

Reaction score
Greetings!

Been searching for answers to this for about a whole day. After some work, I figured it out.

Kindly follow these steps
  1. Simply visit this link https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20775/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-INF-Update-Utility- to download Intel Chipset Device Software.
  2. Download the Latest Version (Its indicated as Chipset 10.0.27_Public.zip near the top of the page)
  3. Unzip the file and amongst the 3 files contained therein, Install SetupChipset. It will take a short while to install.
  4. Restart your PC.
Eureka! You are now able to switch between percentages of brightness from the battery meter, and more importantly, the screen brightness slider is now visible.

I hope this helps. Any further issues, contact me on <[email protected]>

Thank me later.

Cheers.

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    125.4 KB · Views: 3,341
Reaction score
Are you sure downgrading to such an old chipset driver is a good idea? What kind of drawbacks could this have?
I don't really feel like testing it out on my new machine.

Just a little more info for you guys...I've only had this a month and there has NEVER been a brightness bar. It's didn't just suddenly disappear or anything.

Anyone else had this problem, or is it just me and MrTidy?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Remember, this is not a laptop
I wasn't aware that a desktop install (no battery feature) even had a brightness slider. I can't seem to find anything like that on either of my two machines, I'll have to check my wife's and see if she has a brightness slider.
I can turn adaptive brightness on or off, but I leave it off since I seldom lug this thing out into the sunshine.

Reaction score
I wasn't aware that a desktop install (no battery feature) even had a brightness slider. I can't seem to find anything like that on either of my two machines, I'll have to check my wife's and see if she has a brightness slider.
I can turn adaptive brightness on or off, but I leave it off since I seldom lug this thing out into the sunshine.
This article indicates otherwise but I can not find it on my Windows 10'

http://www.howto-connect.com/adjust-brightness-and-contrast-on-windows-10-desktop/

Reaction score
Greetings!

Been searching for answers to this for about a whole day. After some work, I figured it out.

Kindly follow these steps
  1. Simply visit this link https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20775/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-INF-Update-Utility- to download Intel Chipset Device Software.
  2. Download the Latest Version (Its indicated as Chipset 10.0.27_Public.zip near the top of the page)
  3. Unzip the file and amongst the 3 files contained therein, Install SetupChipset. It will take a short while to install.
  4. Restart your PC.
Eureka! You are now able to switch between percentages of brightness from the battery meter, and more importantly, the screen brightness slider is now visible.

I hope this helps. Any further issues, contact me on <[email protected]>

Thank me later.

Cheers.
What operating system did you load this too?

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses Dan99 and Trouble. So, am I correct in thinking that you are confirming a complete lack of a brightness control in Windows 10? Can anyone else confirm this?

This article indicates otherwise but I can not find it on my Windows 10'
http://www.howto-connect.com/adjust-brightness-and-contrast-on-windows-10-desktop/

Just as proof...here is the screen shot from the article Dan mentioned in the above post:

2.png

Now here are MY display settings windows.

4.png
3.png

Dan and trouble, you don't run dual monitors by any chance do you? Maybe that could be why.

If it really is a OS-wide oversight, why has it gone unnoticed until now? It's not like the screen brightness controls are enough. On the lowest setting, mine is still harmfully bright when used at night.

Conversely, if it is just a hardware problem, and all drivers are up to date. Could it just be a problem with my Nvidia GTX 970?

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Further down in the article there are steps for another method of setting your monitor's properties. It starts with typing "Calibrate display color" into Cortana's search. It's a multi-step process and I haven't tried it but maybe it will help you get the results you seek.

Reaction score
Further down in the article there are steps for another method of setting your monitor's properties. It starts with typing "Calibrate display color" into Cortana's search. It's a multi-step process and I haven't tried it but maybe it will help you get the results you seek.

Nope, but thanks for the suggestion. That literally asks you to adjust your monitor's brightness settings to bring the pictures displayed into clarity. I already have my monitors' brightness settings as low as they will go.

Reaction score
Do you have any keyboard controls or something on the system itself. On my system there is a selection on the front of the display. Some of these things may be OEM configured.

If you right click the desktop, are there Display Adapter settings -- more than one Display adapter?

Reaction score
Since Windows 10 no longer has a display brightness adjustment the only solution (for you) is a new monitor. My Samsung LED/LCD TV which I use as a monitor has a backlight adjustment as well as other display custom settings which can drastically reduce the display brightness. These adjustments are selected with the remote control device.

Could you upload a screenshot of your desktop (with a picture on it) so we can see just how bright your monitor is.

Here is a 2014 LED Samsung model 720P (not 1080P) which is a nice reasonably priced 24" TV/monitor ;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4&cm_re=samsung_tv-_-12K-003Z-00094-_-Product

Last edited:
Reaction score
As I've read all this and noticed you are running a nvidia graphics card, the brightness is in the nvidia control panel.
All you have to do is go to display, adjust desktop color brightness, select the monitor and click on use nvidia settings.

Reaction score
Are you sure downgrading to such an old chipset driver is a good idea? What kind of drawbacks could this have?
I don't really feel like testing it out on my new machine.

Just a little more info for you guys...I've only had this a month and there has NEVER been a brightness bar. It's didn't just suddenly disappear or anything.

Anyone else had this problem, or is it just me and MrTidy?
me too

Reaction score
I was about to return this monitor -- I have no tears and it was hurting my eyes too much. :( It's an Acer and I turned it down all the way. Slider bar on Windows 10 missing, too. There is a box on the bottom right corner, to the right of the date and clock. Click on it -- then click on night light. Turned it down a lot. I may keep this after all.
And I'm a beginner!! :rolleyes:Good luck!

Reaction score
Now Nite light has a slider for nite color temperature adjustment. Type "Night" in the search box to pull up the settings. Good night!

Back to your monitor. You should have the ability to adjust the brightness contrast... to a comfortable level. I would definitely return the monitor. I believe the problem you describe is related to the back light, or its control circuit is defective. Have the store do a monitor comparison check.

Last edited:

Ask a Question