Missing programmes in Win 10 Home

Reaction score
All of a sudden I have found my Cortana search box doesn't work, although it is there and the little mic, also Photos has gone missing. Not sure why but just suddenly stopped working, when I look in start up no Cortana, when I look in file manage no Cortana shown have looked at various posts including the msdos box and letting it do a check nothing corrupt found... bit peeved with this as have a load of photos I need to look at and cant... any ideas

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Mark,

Welcome to the Forum.

Cortana's search works off your Indexing Options.

As you mentioned Cortana is not working, to get to this option do the following:
  • Press your Windows key + Pause key together
  • In the top right corner of the window that opens is a search field. In this field type index
  • Now on the left side you'll see Indexing Options - click that
  • You'll now have the Indexing Options windows open. Click the Advanced button
  • This will change the window view. In the new view click the Rebuild button which will rebuild the index Cortana uses when searching.

With regards to Photos missing. That is odd. Try the following:

• Click on Start
  • Click the settings cog
  • In the Windows Settings app that opens select Apps
  • On left side ensure Apps & Features is selected, then ...
  • In main window scroll down to Photos and click once then click Advanced that will appear
  • Now in the Advanced section for Photos click Reset button
Note: If you do not find Photos app listed then somehow its become uninstalled. If that has happen you can sign-in to Store and download the Photos app for free which will reinstall it for you. Your previous photos ought to be still there after doing this, its just installing the App not deleting photos.

Ask a Question