Missing Volume Icon On Ask Bar

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
after last up date my volume icon said it was not working , I went to trouble shooter it said it was fixed nd to restart my computer. When it restarted the volume icon was gone , the volume works but the icon s gone.
I went to a wed site they said to trying below go to system in action center
go to System / Notifications and actions
click Turn systems icons or off /Volume its there on but turned off and grayed out
then I looked into
Select what icons appears on task bar/It’s there and turned on but in the box there is no picture
how do I get the volume icon back on my task bar ?

Reaction score
Sometimes the trick of turning it off may help. A reboot after might aid in resetting the situation.

If you look in Device Manager, do you see the Audio device?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Weird problem, but....
I suppose that whatever was done to "fix" you audio problem may have somehow generated an icon that is unavailable for display in the notification area.
Go to Control Panel -> Sound
Select your "Speakers" and make sure it is checked and showing as "Default Device" and click the "Properties" button
On the General tab select the "Change icon" button
Select one of the alternate Icons available and see if that helps.

If the "fix" resulted in adding another Control Panel applet which is now controlling your audio device you might check there and see if there is a radio button or a check box that says something like "Show taskbar or system tray icon" or words to that affect. It may be something like Realtek, Sound Blaster, Audigy, VIA, etc.,

Ask a Question