SOLVED Mouse Hovering activates file or app.

Reaction score
Ever since installing 20H2 upgrade on my HP laptop my mouse hovering over an item (file, app., etc) randomly activates whatever it hovers over. Very random. Tried deleting the driver for the mouse/ pad tried installing factory-supplied driver from the internet tried using PS-2 driver from Windows tried Ease of Access. Tried setting pad at heavy Run out of options.
Setting file and app activation to double click does not solve issue.

Reaction score
I think it is possible that the reference to 20H2 as only an unfortunate coincidence.
Only thing I can think of is a faulty mouse key, or in its connection to the mouse motherboard chip.
You could try removing the batteries for a couple of minutes, and even changing them?

Reaction score
I have discovered a probable cause.
In the "modern control panel", the options for touchpad gestures are not available on my computer possibly because I have a touch screen. My computer also has a right and left mouse select key separate from the touchpad.
I need to deactivate the gestures and select functions on the touchpad.
I can't find the old screens that allowed the deactivation of touchpad gestures while still allowing me to control the mouse using the touch pad. This ability was available with the last revision control panel. It may still be on my computer but I have no idea where it is.

Reaction score
I don't have a touchscreen, but, I guess you have looked through the options in:
Settings - Devices - Touchpad.
Include the one at the bottom "Related settings"

Reaction score
I did try everything the new windows 20H2 lacks certain carryover I tried everything available including Related settings and nothing worked.
However, I solved the problem.
The new upgrade materially changes the Control Panel and limits flexibility it also didn't carry Synoptic's graphics or options over to the new control panel but I was able to download a program from Synoptics as a separate app and tie it into my computer as a workaround. Then I used the Synoptics app to turn off every option except moving the mouse and the problem was solved.

Reaction score
Good one! Mark the thread as solved. Usel tip there for future users with thr Synoptics mouse problem :p :p

Ask a Question