Mouse not clicking in Windows

Reaction score
my computer has recently developed a random issue and I'm not sure is it related to Windows 10 updates or when it really started.

My computer starts up normally and it works fine but sometimes the mouse stops working in Windows but will continue to work in whatever was open before, like in Chrome for example, but I cannot click on the taskbar, open windows menu, or click on anything. The mouse still moves and the keyboard works, just can't click with the mouse.

My mouse is a wireless USB but my keyboard is wired USB. Hardware has not been changed in years, no changes to software other than windows updates. Any idea what's wrong with my system?

Reaction score
Hi Akira,

have you tried moving the mouse to a different USB port?, have you run troubleshoot at all?:

Windows Settings > Updates & Security > Troubleshoot ;)

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie

I've tried different USB ports, disabling USB selective suspend power saving mode, and done a system file checker scan and repair. None of which seems to have worked and the issue seems to be random so I don't even know what is causing it

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie

Yeah, I've tried brand new batteries too. I'm running Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299.125

It happened again just there. Was watching a YouTube video, think I lost internet connection for a minute, then when I went to click on the Windows Menu, nothing. Had to use the keyboard to restart the computer.

Really running out of ideas now

*edit
Dug out on old USB wired mouse, still the same problem. Again it was during a youtube video and the internet cut out. I use a netgear powerline and it seems to cut out a lot when playing videos, I wonder if it's related or coincidence.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Was playing music with google play and it happened again. The music didn't stop but I believe it cached the playback before the internet cut out for a few minutes. So it seems like it is related.

Whenever I use some browser based "app" (the proper name escapes me just now) and I lose internet, the mouse will only click in the window I have open and nothing else.

I'm using Chrome as my browser but I've had the same issue when I used Microsoft Edge before as well. I've never had problems with youTube and other browser based apps causing issues within Windows before so I have no idea how to begin tackling this problem.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
I just use windows defender AV and that didn't flag anything. The user account I mainly use doesn't have administrator access so I don't know how a virus would have gotten onto the computer. I'll log into the admin account and do the full spyware, malware, AV, sorta scans.

Failing that, I'll just buy a new computer. Not had an upgrade in quite a few years

Reaction score
Press the Windows key + r and type "mrt" (Malicious/Malware Removal Tool) and run a scan with that, you may get a lot of false positives with it though!. :(

Reaction score
think I might have fixed the issue. Seems like Chrome browser wasn't auto-updating and was causing the issues whenever the internet connection dropped. Updated it and hasn't happened for a last few days now. Fingers crossed!

Ask a Question