SOLVED Mouse Scroll wheel works on one user account but not the other?

Reaction score
We have Windows 10 set up on our PC, and the mouse scroll wheel used to work as it should on both mine and my wife's accounts. Lately on my wife's account, the mouse scroll wheel won't work at all, both in windows applications as well as web pages.

Anyone know what would cause my mouse to all of a sudden work for one user profile but not for another? I can't figure this out.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Lately we've be seeing some indication of recent Windows Updates causing problems for the user profile that was being used at the time that the updates were installed, while other user profiles do not seem to be impacted at all. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for this, nor does it happen to everyone or all the time.
If the mouse is one of the more sophisticated devices, requiring a driver from the hardware manufacturer then it might be possible to simply reinstall the driver to remedy the problem, although hardware drivers for the most part are global system files and if they work for one user then they would normally work for all users.

Is this the only issue that she has noticed regarding how Windows performs generally when using her user profile?

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Yes, it's the only thing that has been affected. Any mouse functionality (back/fwd buttons, scroll wheel etc) do not work on her profile, only mine. I will try re-installing the mouse driver now and see if that fixes it. Will report back :)

Reaction score
That worked!! I feel like an idiot for not just trying to re-install the device drivers... but whatever lol I guess it's exactly what you said... an update that threw it off on the running profile and left everything else unaffected. Thanks for the tip!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to hear that it worked out for you.
Thanks for the follow-up.
Much appreciated.

Reaction score
I had the same problem and reinstalling Logtech Setpoint did not clear it. When I uninstalled Setpoint the wheel worked correctly on my wife's account. When I reinstalled it, it no longer worked but I was able to access the Setpoint mouse and keyboard settings from my wife's account and turning off "smooth scrolling" did the trick. Before I uninstalled and reinstalled I could not access Setpoint mouse and keyboard settings from her account. This might have been because she did not have administrator authority when Setpoint was originally installed and I granted her local administrator authority today before the uninstall/reinstall because I got tired of going back and forth.

Reaction score
Also had this issue on two machines, both with Logitech mice. In some cases this would pop up randomly on a single user machine, and on the machine with two user accounts the scroll wheel and other buttons on the Logitech Performance Mouse MX would not work frequently (often once or twice per week). Re-installing the SetPoint software would sometimes solve the problem temporarily, but a few days later this would happen again.

One thing that seems to always work - just unplug the Unifying USB dongle, and plug it into a different USB port - everything works again in seconds. When it happens again a few days later, just put the USB dongle back into the first USB port.

Ask a Question