MS Office trial version

Reaction score
This is not for me.
An alumni of mine who knows next to nothing about computer wanted me to teach her using PowerPoint if she went out and bought a MS Office Home & Student 2013.

Question :
Is there any hidden danger installing a trial version ?
Personally I don't trust Softonic but seems to me Softonic is the only "better known" offering trial versions.

Reaction score
I've used the 365 trial many, many times. You don't need to add any billing information so it gets cancelled automatically if you don't sign up for paid service when the trial period ends. If you go for the Business edition trial, the offline Office should contain PowerPoint. I think it does, anyway...Can't recall for sure as I don't use PP.

Reaction score
Have you considered, maybe suggesting the Office 365 Free Trial from here https://products.office.com/en-us/try
It says you can cancel at any time.

I did think of that.
I don't think she will be willing to pay $7 a month or $69 per year.
I wouldn't either.
I could pay $139 one time for a Home and Student 2013, and the software would be mine to keep. And for her, she wants to learn PowerPoint and that is it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Those are valid reasons and everyone's needs are different. In defense of the 365 plan, I have to say that it's not a bad deal at all if you have several machines. For that one price you can install Office on up to 5 machines, including Macs, and it'll always be the most recent version of Office and not 201x.

Reaction score
Another point of view from the outside looking in.

I am in a position where I can use MS Office, or 365, without hindrance or cash.

I use Libre Office (as was Open Office)) Works for me without the constant pestering of updates.

Ask a Question