Multiple Audio Devices 1 port

Reaction score
I've googled this endlessly with no result and I'm guessing it isn't possible but I may as well ask.

My laptop has one audio/mic port. I'm cheap and had a splitter laying around, my headphones, and a set of ear buds with a mic on it I combined to use as a headset.

This works fine, however, since the sound output is being split to both my ear buds and headphones, it doesn't sound as good and some things are faint, which isn't good for gaming.

Is there a way to manage my audio devices so that my ear buds is mic only and no sound, and my headphones get all the sound? I've found no options in Windows, just playback (speakers) and recording (mic). I assume because it's only one jack it isn't, but it can't hurt to ask.

Reaction score
Cut the wires to the buds! This sounds silly and extreme but I am actually being serious because sustained use like this could permanently damage the audio circuits in your notebook.

Right now, you have two sets of speakers in parallel as the load for each channel (left and right).

Each speaker presents a load - that is resistance or impedance measured in ohms (Ω). In electronics, when two loads are in parallel, resistance drops. So for example, in a basic circuit, an 8Ω speaker in parallel with another 8Ω speaker is seen as a 4Ω load for the amplifier the speakers are connected to.

Ohm's Law (I = E/R) in electronics says when resistance (R) drops and electromotive force (voltage, E) remains the same, current (I) goes up. And current going up in a circuit is bad because when current goes up, so does heat. And if you note the last line of my signature, "Heat is the bane of all electronics!"

So what is happening now is your audio signal is being split which is why your volume is not loud enough. But at the same time, you have created a low resistance load on the audio circuits in your notebook which increases heat. And sustained high-heat on electronics will at best increase aging on the components in that circuit. At worst, a component could get so hot, fire results! :(

So if you cut the wires to the buds (ensuring the bare wires can never touch), this should put a more proper load on the circuit. I say "should" because I don't really know how the buds are wired with the mic in there and it may just stop the audio all together.

So my best advice is don't be so cheap!!!! Do it the right way and invest in a new headset.

Reaction score
I supposed if you became motivated you might look into a Bluetooth solution.

There aren't many laptops with a combined input/output. Did the system come with any special adapters?

Ask a Question