Must unplug computer for start up

Reaction score
Since I downloaded Windows 10 I have to unplug and plug the computer in every morning to start it. During the day it will come on by hitting a key stroke but after sitting for several hours it will not start. I can hit the switch on the computer and the light on the computer comes on but will not start until it is unplugged and plugged back in. I have a gateway with two lights on the front. The best I can tell one indicates the power is on and the other one is for the processor. The second one is the one that will not light up until unplugged and plugged back in. I was thinking it has something to do with going to sleep/hibernation but can not find any where I can change that. I am just assuming this is a software problem. Any advice would be appreciated.

Reaction score
All modern motherboards are powered up all the time the machine is plugged in. Once in a while I have found that physically unplugging the machine will cure a hang up.

So I wonder if the shutdown in W10 is leaving something in a funny state. Maybe the W10 fast boot thingy that is similar to a hibernate is the problem on your machine. You don't say anything about the PC's hardware setup.

Reaction score
I have a similar problem. I can do a "hard boot" to recover; meaning, hold the power botton until all lights go off (the disk seems to be on but everything else is dead). I have my system options set to power off "never" for the disk and display. Still have the issue when the system sits for 8 to 10 hours.

Ask a Question